Student dies in fall at Stanford

University of Miami student Braden Ray died Saturday afternoon after falling from the twelfth floor of Rosborough Tower in Stanford Residential College. According to Miami-Dade Police, the death has been ruled a suicide. There is a possibility of alcohol and/or drugs as a contributing factor. The results of a toxicology test are expected sometime next week.

Ray, 19, was in attendance at a party in Stanford Residential College on Saturday afternoon when he called 911, police say. According to Detective Joseph Giordano, witnesses reported that Ray was acting erratically in the time before he placed the call. At the time of his fall, Ray was speaking with a 911 operator, Giordano said. Police plan to release the tape to the public.

A vigil was held on Sunday night outside Stanford Residential College. Over 100 faculty, administration and students paid tribute to Ray.

“We are all heartbroken,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs said. “University resources, including University chaplains, the Counseling Center, and the Health Center are available to students at all times.”

Students may walk in to the Counseling Center, located in Building 21-R, or make an appointment by calling (305) 284-5511. Students requiring immediate assistance may contact their Resident Assistant or call Public Safety at (305)284-6666.

The Hurricane will continue to provide updates on our website, www.thehurricaneonline.com, as more information becomes available.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...