LETTER TO THE EDITOR RE: “Tragic death leaves UM community shaken,” 9/21

RE: “Tragic death leaves UM community shaken,” 9/21

I saw someone die on Saturday. I did not know him, or how he died, but I saw the paramedics put the white sheet over his body. I spent most of the day crying and thinking about death. For my own well-being, I needed questions answered: Why did he do it? Where were his friends? His R.A.? His support? I needed to read a letter from President Shalala similar to that of when Chad Meredith passed away when I was a freshman, but what do I get? The most generic, ambiguous, apathetic, impersonal statement regarding a nameless student’s death. This offended me more than words can express.
President Shalala: drugs and alcohol are a problem on this campus; remind us that there are counseling options. President Shalala: it is hard to deal with death; remind us there is someone on campus to help us deal with it. President Shalala: there are people on the verge of suicide that may now think that it is a solution; remind them that there are other options! Let us know a memorial will be held, let us know his death will not be lost in the mix of the Debate and the Dalai Lama, let us know that the University does truly care about him and about us. He is not nameless; he was more than just “gifted,” and those of us still here are the ones that have to deal with it. The ones that knew him will have to deal with the loss of a friend; those that did not will have to deal with seeing death face to face. You cannot let this tragedy go in vain – this tragedy should not have happened in the first place.

Name withheld by request

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...