FASHION Say ‘hi’ to HiHo Batik

As I approached HiHo Batik, a quaint boutique featuring handmade batik clothing at 6909 Biscayne Blvd., I was tired and frustrated from battling my way through rush-hour traffic on I-95 and circling the not-so-nice neighborhood just outside of Little Haiti three times to find the store and then parking. Upon entering, however, I was overtaken by the bright colors and vibrant paintings created by the owner’s mother and aunt, which add to the cheerful, yet intimate, atmosphere of the store. A Dave Matthews Band song was playing on the stereo and immediately I sensed an appropriate connection between the batik style of clothing and the Dave Matthews/new-age hippie attitude. Batik could be the next big Indian-inspired trend, following in the footsteps of yoga, Kabbalah and henna tattoos.

I was greeted with a smile by Julia Silver, owner of HiHo Batik and expert in the centuries-old art form of batik-ing. Batik, an Indonesian technique of using wax and dyes to create intricate and highly interesting designs on clothing that never wash out or fade away, caught Silver’s interest while studying abroad in Kenya. She decided she could batik herself, but wanted to “funk it up” a bit.

Silver got her start by working with bands, such as Wide Spread Panic and Carlos Santana, to create shirts for their tours. After wholesaling to stores in the Grove, Los Angeles, New York City, and Chicago, Silver acquired her current space about a year ago. The store is small, with only one fitting room and much of the space being used to hand-make the products sold in the store, which include everything from tank tops and sweatpants, to handbags and boy-cut underwear. The store also offers classes in batik-ing, and reservations can be made for private lessons and parties. Because everything is handmade right there, merchandise can be customized with any design the patron chooses. (Common designs include Zodiac symbols, surf gear, and nature.) But that also means that the store is relatively pricey, ranging from $30 – $38 for a tank top or t-shirt, $30 – $45 for a skirt, $40 – $45 for sweatpants, and $15 – $25 for undergarments or a bathing suit.

After wandering the boutique, which has been featured in magazines such as Lucky, Teen Vogue, and Ocean Drive, I decided to try something on. The top was comfortable and flattering, but what appealed most to me was the idea that since the product was made and purchased at a store that’s not Abercrombie and Fitch or Bebe, there wouldn’t be ten other girls wearing it around campus tomorrow.

Bottom line: if you want something hip and different, and don’t mind forking over the cash that you’d probably just spend at Bloomingdale’s or Nordstrom’s otherwise, make the trip over to HiHo Batik. Your inner Zen will thank you.

Danielle McNally can be contacted at d.mcnally@umiami.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...