Dalai Lama’s visit overshadowed by debate

The fact that Dalai Lama’s visit is being treated as a part of the many events leading up to the Presidential Debate is an injustice done to a great man who represents a notable spiritual tradition. What exactly does the Dalai Lama have to do with American politics, anyway? I’m not really sure, except for the fact that maybe while he is here, the Dalai Lama can bless the Convocation Center before it has to face the tension and anxiety of what is looking to be a very partisan debate.

The Dalai Lama is commonly referred to as “His Holiness.” His full name translates to “Holy Lord, Gentle Glory, Compassionate, Defender of the Faith, Ocean of Wisdom.” He is, in the mind of many people, a holy figure; even the highest holy figure. Contrastingly, Sen. John Kerry and President George Bush are politicians, a.k.a. “Mudslinger #1” and “Mudslinger #2.”

On a more serious note, President Bush and Sen. Kerry are well respected, accomplished men, both of whom the University community wholeheartedly welcomes to carry on the important political tradition of the presidential debate. However, the debate is, and should be treated as, a totally separate issue from the visit of the Dalai Lama.

The Dalai Lama’s visit is officially included on UM’s “Presidential Debate Calendar.” listed right there on the debate website’s “Schedule of Events” along with a campus mock election, some movies being shown at Cosford and tour of a “C-SPAN School Bus,” whatever that is. It’s almost as if the Dalai Lama’s visit being equated to the importance of a school bus.

The Dalai Lama is the official head of state for the Tibetan Government in Exile. Politically speaking, he is on the same level as President Bush. As far as my memory serves me, one who is at least on equal footing with another doesn’t usually serve as a virtual keynote speaker to the other.

This is a public relations plan gone too far. The Dalai Lama did not visit Miami for the express purpose of taking part in UM’s debate frenzy. The plans for the Dalai Lama’s visit just happened to coincide with the timing of the Presidential Debate, and the result was unfortunate. His visit is now being overshadowed by the presidential debate, thanks to a PR job that couldn’t give credit where it was due.

Reeva Oza can be contacted at r.oza@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...