Classes to be held on debate day much to the dismay of students

On Sept. 30, the first 2004 Presidential Debate will be held at the University of Miami. Classes will go on as usual, despite some major adjustments in parking and security being made at school for the debate.

Professors have different methods as to how they will handle their classes during the debate.

“We’re all at a loss here,” German Professor Michael Davidson-Schmich says about the UM decision to keep classes open. “The University has done a bad job communicating this to the students, and it’s going to be very inconvenient, especially for commuter students.” Davidson-Schmich plans to continue his classes as usual.

“I’m obligated under contract to teach,” Davidson-Schmich says. “It’s still an unexcused absence, but I’d still be lenient and help my students out.”

Cyndi White, professor of English, will take a different approach. “[The Debate] will be a ‘Library Day’ for my students,” says White, who did the same for the Dalai Lama’s visit to campus. Even though she can’t officially cancel class, what White is offering is tantamount to a “Get Out of Class Free” card. She disagrees with the decision to keep classes open.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime event,” White says. “Students worked hard to be able to see the Dalai Lama, and even harder to be able to attend the debate, so why shouldn’t they get to go?”

Student reaction has been mixed.

Rasheed Al-Marri, junior, says he’d rather go to class.

“I don’t care much for the debate, as I’m not an American,” Al-Marri says.

Jeff Conrad, sophomore, agrees with the University’s decision.

“I always like classes being cancelled, it’s a nice break. I can see why they’re going ahead, though, seeing how we fell behind during the hurricane,” Conrad says. “I’d much rather have classes flow continuously than have to play catch-up later.”

Commuter students, however, are already dreading the debate day.

“It’s very inconvenient,” Kamilah Chajin, sophomore, says. “Parking is going to be horrible, because they’re restricting commuter parking, so I have to park far away from where any of my classes are, and I can’t go back to my car to get my books in between classes.”

Many students agree, however, that the debate coming to UM is a good thing despite the inconveniences it’ll bring.

“I’m glad the debate came to Miami,” Conrad says. “How many people can say the Presidential Debate was held at their school?”

Jay Rooney can be contacted at j.rooney@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...