CD REVIEWS Putumayo World Music brings culture to CD players

Not keen on listening to music that might not even have lyrics in English? One listen to any of Putumayo’s cultural compilation CDs, and many would beg to differ. Started in 1993 to introduce music of the world “guaranteed to make you feel good,” Putumayo offers over 13 different genres of cultural music to inspire and soothe the soul. Offering melodic tunes of European influence, jazzy blues, latin grooves, and reggae, Putumayo has a song for every listener. Celebrating the diversity of the world and unity in music, Putumayo World Music appeals to any person who likes being soaked in culture, even if the lyrics need to be translated.

Greece: A Musical Odyssey
Mixing ancient and modern themes, Greece: A Musical Odyssey is a 12-track compilation of rich tempos and solid vocals. Although not in English, the feel of musical influences from many different traditions can be felt through the music as the notes drip with an authentic Greek feel. Poetic, the collection of songs comes from some of the most popular contemporary Greek artists. A combination of rembetika, demotica, entehno, and laiko-all genres of music in the Greek culture- the CD gives any listener a feel for the old and the new, bringing to light the diversity of such an old society.
In particular, track three “Pino Pino” is a common song whose lyrics about the spell of love transcend cultural differences, as love is a universal theme. Track six also transcends boundaries, again remaining with the theme of love while taking a traditional Grecian melody and adding the soft sounds of flamenco for flavor.
While the language is foreign, the beats are soothing and relaxing, perfect for a casual evening or some background music for a long night of studying.

Nuevo Latino
Modern and fresh, Nuevo Latino combines elements of rock, reggae, electronica, and traditional elements for a melodiously interesting compilation. Exploring classic themes such as love, celebration, passion, and self-betterment, the beats and musical sound of the Spanish language are sensual and moving. Every track is filled with passion, a feeling that resonates from every note on the CD.
To simply ignore Nuevo Latino and its raspy voiced vocalists would be a crime, as a very dynamic and large part of the Hispanic culture is translated through music. The CD captures a very real side to the musical majesty of a culture and its customs.

>> For more information about Putumayo World Music, go to www.putumayomusic.com.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...