ACT Gets Vocal on the Issues

Having declared it Conservative Awareness Week the student organization Advocates for Conservative Thought [ACT] was out this week adding its voice to UM’s ever-politicizing campus. A relatively new addition to the spectrum of student groups at UM, ACT is taking advantage of the political atmosphere brought on by the upcoming presidential debate to shed some light on its side of today’s hot topics.

“We wanted to do a week of tackling an issue a day,” Sarah Canale, ACT president, said.

The week kicked off with Patriotism Day. ACT was on the Rock distributing yellow ribbons in support of American soldiers abroad, saying solidarity with the troops enables them to accomplish their tasks. The ribbons served to remind the otherwise unaffected that their fellow Americans are placed daily in harms way.

Displaying the group’s expressed non-partisanship, one fervent member told passersby’s in the UC Breezway that you don’t have to support Bush to support the troops.

Pro-Life and Family values were on the ACT agenda for Tuesday. Members of the organization spent the day passing out abortion statistics and emphasizing the priority of family.

“It’s a misconception that we’re the movement of stay at home moms,” Canale said. “We are not trying to regress, just trying to hold on to wholesome values.”

Liberating Cuba was the focus Wednesday when the group exposed the conditions created by communism through a video showing and follow-up discussion. They chose this issue for its pertinence to South Florida and its particular importance to certain members of the organization.

According to Canale, Thursday’s Second Amendment Day was as much but about guns as it was about “rights enumerated in the Constitution.” ACT circulated statistics on this topic that pointed to increased criminality as it results from stricter gun-control measures.

The week wraps up today with a speech by Doug Bandow of the CATO institute on an idea that may be largely unfamiliar – Free Market Environmentalism. The concept puts a conservative spin on environmental sensitivity.

Given that UM’s diversity extends to students political views, ACT has received mixed reception on campus. Freshman Shelby Kimbrough, a member of the Young Democrats describes UM as a liberal campus.

“Especially in this age group, because liberals are open to change,” Kimbrough said. According to Roger MacIntosh, senior, the university atmosphere is conservative, in part because UM is a private school.

ACT welcomes a range of viewpoints; its goals are facilitating dialogue among the UM community, focusing on the issues, and allowing for all sides to be heard.

For more information on ACT, visit www.miami.edu/studorgs/act.

Courtney Patton can be contacted at c.patton@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...