UM student dies after fall

UM student Braden Ray died Saturday afternoon after falling from the twelfth floor of Rosborough Tower in Stanford Residential College. According to Miami-Dade Police, they are currently investigating the death as a suicide with alcohol and/or drugs as a contributing factor. The results of a toxicology test are expected sometime next week.
Ray, 19, was in attendance at a party in Stanford Residential College on Saturday afternoon when he called 911, police say. According to Detective Joseph Giordano, witnesses reported that Ray was acting erratically in the time before he placed the call. At the time of his fall, Ray was speaking with a 911 operator, Giordano said. Police plan to release the tape to the public.
A vigil was held on Sunday night outside of Stanford Residential College. Over 100 faculty, administration, and students paid tribute to Ray.
“We are all heartbroken,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs said. “University resources, including University chaplains, the Counseling Center, and the Health Center are available to students at all times.”
Students may walk in to the Counseling Center, located in Building 21-R, or make an appointment by calling 305-284-5511. Students requiring immediate assistance may contact their Resident Assistant or call Public Safety at 305-284-6666.
The Hurricane will continue to update our site as more information becomes available.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...