Proxy Debate brings the facts to politically interested students

The real deal won’t be coming to campus until later this month, but the Council for Democracy held a debate of its own last Thursday. University of Miami’s College Republican Chairman Scott Wacholtz filled in for President Bush, and UM Young Democrats President Luke Kosar represented challenger John Kerry. The subject of the proxy debate was “Bush. Kerry. Is There a Difference?”

“The focus of the event, like all Council for Democracy events, is to try and get the students intimately involved with the political events on campus,” said Council for Democracy President Edward Martos, who moderated the event.

The debaters were initially given four questions chosen by the council and were each allowed to share their candidate’s views on the issue. The questions dealt with the current preoccupation with the candidates’ service during the Vietnam War, funding for college tuition, the national deficit, and the war in Iraq.

The spectators occupied all available seating in the I-Lounge and got to submit their own questions as well. Their questions addressed a wide range of issues from hot topics like gay marriage to less talked about issues like aid to Africa.

Most of the students who attended were members of either Wacholtz’s or Kosar’s groups, and most had a healthy interest in politics.

“I’m pretty set in who I’m going to vote for, but you’re always learning,” Christy Matelis, freshman, said.

“I think many [spectators]were decided,” Martos said. “But I hope that events like these can change minds in either direction based on some solid facts.”

Both debaters knew their candidates’ positions well, especially when it came to the ongoing military actions in Iraq.

“The reason why we are in Iraq is because it’s a crucial front in the war on terror,” Wacholtz said.

He then called the Democrats the “Party of September 11,” and the Republicans the “Party of September 12.”

“There’s absolutely no reason for us being in Iraq,” Kosar said.

According to Kosar, war in Iraq is diverting funds and attention from more important steps to defeat terrorism, including dealing with North Korea.

Wacholtz and Kosar agreed it was easy to represent their candidates because for the most part they believe in their platforms.

“Most of the views of John Kerry are my personal views,” Kosar said.

>> For more information on Council for Democracy events, email councilfordemocracy@hotmail.com.

Kyle Munzenrieder can be contacted at k.munzenrieder@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...