North 110 an intimate dining space for resident Miami food lovers

Ready for a relaxing evening with low lighting and incredible food? Located on north Biscayne Boulevard, North 110 is the new ‘neighborhood’ spot. Owned and run by partners Dewey and Dale LoSasso, North 110 is an excellent presentation of American cuisine with flair.

The dining space is quite small, enough room to accommodate 96 guests, with marble flooring and soft amber lighting. In the back, a full-service bar is nestled next to a climbing spiral staircase-leading to a mysterious location-and some wrought iron tables. Juxtaposed to the somewhat eclectic feel of the restaurant, the food carries some continuity; no matter what dish you eat, the flavors never clash with those from another dish.

The menu offers a variety of options-from appetizers to entrees and even dessert. In accordance, the extensive wine list is not to go unmentioned, a perk from having an owner who is also a wine director.

One suggestion for those who become overwhelmed with choices, start with Gruner Vetliner, a dry white wine meant to go with almost any dish, from fish to chicken to tarte red meat. For dinner try two appetizers, although everything is delicious: the mushroom stuffed mushrooms will melt in your mouth and the zucchini blossoms with foie gras present the palate with an interesting texture.

As for salad, if you think you can handle a full three to four course meal, all of the combinations are filled with flavors. A specialty combination is the arugula, berry, and charred apple salad. An intricate mix of flavors and textures, the salad is truly a salad among no others.

For an entree, the new menu additions provide a new twist that prove to be culinary masterpieces. The grilled hog snapper is served in a broth of red wine with leeks and lobstered mushrooms, cooked to perfection and practically falling apart at the touch of fork and knife. The other newbie is buffalo steak and herb seared tuna. Served with an apple puree, both the steak and the tuna linger on the tongue, making the flavor last just long enough to savor every morsel.

If you make it to dessert, the filo basket of cinnamon roasted plums is rumored to be almost orgasmic, an adjective not often used to refer to food. Not in the mood for plums? The rice pudding with rum raisins and a

macadamia nut filo crust is another excellent choice for a sweet and creamy end to a stuffing meal. However, the true gem among the desserts is the grilled angel food cake. Understated and simple, the angel food cake bathes in a soft ‘soup’ of rum and mint, served with fresh berries and an apricot sorbet. Light and airy, but rich in flavor, angel food cake never tasted this good.

Overall, North 110 is an excellent spot to get away from the trendy bars, the long waits or the month-in-advance reservations. Posh in its own right, North 110 and its owners Dewey and Dale LoSasso are filling the void that Miami needed; a place where diners can truly enjoy the food and the company.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

ON THE MENU

MUSHROOM STUFFED MUSHROOMS with chayote slaw and smoked tomato vinaigrette, $9

ARUGULA, BERRY AND CHARRED APPLE SALAD with smoked salmon bacon and creamy gorgonzola dressing, $12

GRILLED BUFFALO STRIP STEAK AND HERB SEARED TUNA with apple rosemary puree and goat cheese toast, $37

GRILLED ANGEL FOOD CAKE, $8

NORTH 110

Located at:
11052 Biscayne Blvd.
North Miami-Dade
(305) 893-4211

Hours:
Monday through Friday, 5 p.m. to 11 p.m.; Friday throughSaturday, 5 p.m. to 12 a.m.. Open for dinner Sunday