NO PROBLEM UM DOMINATES BULLDOGS 48-0

Devin Hester returned two punts for touchdowns and Tyrone Moss scored twice as Miami (2-0, 1-0) cruised to a 48-0 victory over Louisiana Tech (2-1, 0-0) in front of 53,721 fans Saturday at the Orange Bowl.

Hester’s first return, a 51-yarder, came with 10:57 left in the second quarter to give the Hurricanes a 24-0 advantage, and his second, a 92-yarder in the fourth quarter, increased the ‘Canes’ lead to 48 points.

“Obviously, Devin is a pretty special player,” Head Coach Larry Coker said. “We need to work on his role and get him more involved on the defensive side too. Basically, he’s learning, and he will be a special player for us.”

Moss scored the first two touchdowns of the game for Miami from four and 15 yards out, finishing with 69 yards on seven carries. Frank Gore added 64 yards on 12 carries and a touchdown.

“I am really pleased with the play of Gore and Moss,” Coker said. “Those two look like what we’d like to see them look like. They’re a dynamic tandem.”

Quarterback Brock Berlin completed 10 of 14 passes for 122 yards, a touchdown and an interception. Back-ups Derrick Crudup and Kyle Wright played most of the second half, combining to go 2-for-8 for 45 yards.

While the offense showed improvement from last week’s overtime win over Florida State, the defense continued its dominance in shutting out the Bulldogs and holding the nation’s leading rusher, Ryan Moats, to 81 yards on 14 carries. The Hurricanes have not allowed an offensive touchdown this season.

Coker said he was more than satisfied with his team’s all-around performance.

“It was a good win for us,” Coker said. “This was a game that, on paper, we were supposed to win and we were able to learn a lot more about ourselves.”

Miami got on the board late in the first quarter when Moss scored a four-yard touchdown after Berlin completed a 30-yard pass to tight end Greg Olsen. On the ensuing drive, Moats coughed up the ball for Louisiana Tech, which Antrel Rolle recovered and returned 47 yards. Three plays later, Moss scored his second touchdown to give the Hurricanes a 14-0 lead.

Jon Peattie connected on a 33-yard field goal attempt on the ‘Canes’ first drive of the second quarter to make the score 17-0. After the defense forced a Bulldogs three-and-out, Hester did not let the offense get back on the field, returning Matt Butler’s punt for a 51-yard touchdown to make it 24-0.

Both offenses stalled for a few series before Thomas Carroll sacked Louisiana Tech quarterback Donald Allen, forcing a fumble that was recovered by Teraz McCray. Four plays later, Berlin connected with Darnell Jenkins for an 11-yard touchdown. Peattie added another field goal after the Bulldogs fumbled Brian Monroe’s kickoff to make the halftime score 34-0.

The second half was much less eventful, as both teams emptied their benches during garbage time to give the starters some rest. Wright entered the game late in the third quarter to a standing ovation from the Hurricane faithful. He was sacked twice, going 1-for-3 for six yards.

Up next for the Hurricanes is a trip to Houston, where they will take on the University of Houston Thursday at 7:45 p.m.

Eric Kalis can be contacted at e.kalis@umiami.edu

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...