News Briefs

MPA Latin American film series comes back to UM

The Motion Picture Association [MPA] and the University of Miami have launched the second annual MPA-UM Latin American Film Series. The series features selected films from Latin American countries such as Argentina, Chile and Mexico. Chile’s “Sexo con Amor,” directed by Boris Quercia, kicked off the series Sept. 17 at the Bill Cosford Cinema. Screenings begin at 7 p.m. and tickets are $6 general admission, free for UM students. The series will showcase selected films twice a month, and the list of the featured films will be announced shortly. For more information on screening times at the University of Miami and dates, call (305) 284-1870.

Crazed dog strikes U. Florida students

(U-WIRE) GAINESVILLE, Fla.- A one-eyed, 70-pound Pit Bull attacked two college students at a University of Florida-area apartment complex on Thursday, inflicting severe wounds on its victims before Alachua County (Fla.) sheriff’s deputies fatally shot it, police say. UF student Ryan Tyler, 21, was in a second-floor stairwell when the dog attacked him, latching onto his arm and removing a large chunk of flesh, police say. UF sophomore Ian Carmichael, 19, followed Tyler’s screams and then jumped onto the dog’s back to pin it down. Nathan J. Lezwiewicz, 21, a South Florida Community College student, said he also heard screams and ran to the scene, grabbing kitchen knives from a woman in a nearby apartment. Both he and Carmichael repeatedly stabbed the dog until it released Tyler. It then attacked Ryan Troup, 19, who had been trying to help. Lezwiewicz said he pinned the dog and stuck a knife in its neck while twisting its collar in an attempt to choke it. The dog released Troup, who was pulled inside the apartment of the woman who supplied the knives, Carmichael said. ASO deputies arrived soon after and put a dogcatcher’s noose around the dog’s neck. After shooting three rounds of non-lethal “beanbags” -with no effect-they fatally shot the dog. Tyler, listed in stable condition, and Troup were taken to Shands at UF for treatment. ASO spokesman Stephen Maynard said that if Carmichael and Lezwiewicz hadn’t arrived to help, Tyler would have died. “I’ve seen dog attacks before, but nothing as severe as this.”

The Wellness Center is now offering wheelchair tennis lessons! For more information, contact Bill Aronsorl at (305)324-4455 ext. 6995 or visit www.miami.edu/wellness.

The AOL Instant Messenger service has agreed to be part of the Rock the Vote Campus Invasion Tour, giving students an opportunity to sign up for the service, learn how to set up IM for their cell phones, and even take home some free shirts. Look out for AOL Instant Messaging at the Rock the Vote Tour at UM Oct. 1.

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...