Hurricanes continue season long offensive struggle

The women’s soccer team (0-4) remained winless on the season as it suffered a 1-0 defeat to North Carolina State (6-0-1) Friday night. Anna Helenius scored for the Wolfpack in the 37th minute of the first half to give N.C. State all the scoring it would need.

Miami couldn’t find the back of the net for the third time in four games, as it has only one goal on the season, which came on a penalty kick against Auburn.

In fairness to the ‘Canes, they were put at a disadvantage early in the second half when their goaltender, sophomore Alex Alford, was handed a red card for a slide tackle. Alford came sprinting out of the goal-box to cut down a breakaway and keep Miami in the ballgame. Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro commended the play.

“I think it was the right call,” Taliaferro said. “I also feel that it was the right play by our goalkeeper and we had good pressure even though we were a player down.”

Miami was able to outshoot the Wolfpack 16-12 but only four were on goal. Freshman goalkeeper Lauren McAdam made four saves but took the loss.

Senior Britney Butcher led the team in shots with three, while junior Lindsey Yach had two of the four shots on goal for the ‘Canes.

How will Miami get on the winning track this season?

“I really feel that if we would have been at even strength, things would have been different, but seeing our team play with the drive and determination they had tonight was something we haven’t seen up to this point and that is something we are going to be able to build upon as we move forward,” Taliaferro said.

Miami put a lot of pressure on the N.C. State defense in the final thirty minutes, despite being down a player because Alford’s ejection. The Wolfpack defense made it tough for Miami to penetrate it and get quality shots on goal.

The road doesn’t get any easier for Miami, as it has to face the No. 4 team in the nation when it hosts in-state rival Florida State next week. Taliaferro said she believes the team is heading in the right direction with what she saw against North Carolina State.

“It’s always difficult to lose such a close match,” Taliaferro said, “but if we had to take something positive from this match, I would have to say that I was extremely impressed with the way our team responded being a man down for nearly the entire second period.”

Miami returns to action this week when it travels to Jacksonville Tuesday to take on the Dolphins at 4 p.m.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...