Hurricanes continue season long offensive struggle

The women’s soccer team (0-4) remained winless on the season as it suffered a 1-0 defeat to North Carolina State (6-0-1) Friday night. Anna Helenius scored for the Wolfpack in the 37th minute of the first half to give N.C. State all the scoring it would need.

Miami couldn’t find the back of the net for the third time in four games, as it has only one goal on the season, which came on a penalty kick against Auburn.

In fairness to the ‘Canes, they were put at a disadvantage early in the second half when their goaltender, sophomore Alex Alford, was handed a red card for a slide tackle. Alford came sprinting out of the goal-box to cut down a breakaway and keep Miami in the ballgame. Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro commended the play.

“I think it was the right call,” Taliaferro said. “I also feel that it was the right play by our goalkeeper and we had good pressure even though we were a player down.”

Miami was able to outshoot the Wolfpack 16-12 but only four were on goal. Freshman goalkeeper Lauren McAdam made four saves but took the loss.

Senior Britney Butcher led the team in shots with three, while junior Lindsey Yach had two of the four shots on goal for the ‘Canes.

How will Miami get on the winning track this season?

“I really feel that if we would have been at even strength, things would have been different, but seeing our team play with the drive and determination they had tonight was something we haven’t seen up to this point and that is something we are going to be able to build upon as we move forward,” Taliaferro said.

Miami put a lot of pressure on the N.C. State defense in the final thirty minutes, despite being down a player because Alford’s ejection. The Wolfpack defense made it tough for Miami to penetrate it and get quality shots on goal.

The road doesn’t get any easier for Miami, as it has to face the No. 4 team in the nation when it hosts in-state rival Florida State next week. Taliaferro said she believes the team is heading in the right direction with what she saw against North Carolina State.

“It’s always difficult to lose such a close match,” Taliaferro said, “but if we had to take something positive from this match, I would have to say that I was extremely impressed with the way our team responded being a man down for nearly the entire second period.”

Miami returns to action this week when it travels to Jacksonville Tuesday to take on the Dolphins at 4 p.m.

Douglas Kroll can be contacted at d.kroll@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...