BOOK REVIEW The Lovely Bones: Alice Sebold’s debut novel is ‘Lovely’

Listed as one of the best-selling books in the country, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is an interesting viewpoint on death. The main character, Susie Salmon –yes, like the fish -gets brutally raped and murdered by her neighbor after being lured into an underground shelter while coming home from school one evening. Following the incident, the rest of the novel is told from Heaven, where Susie looks down on her killer, her parents and her friends, keeping watch and narrating the story. Clinging to her life on earth and struggling to accept the finality of her death, Susie watches her family fall apart in the aftermath of her disappearance.

Consuming and intriguing, The Lovely Bones is a twisted sort of coming-of-age novel: a story about dealing with the loss of a loved one while still accepting the future. Of course, the drama of her family’s fall out and Susie’s longing to touch the boy she loved on earth is heart wrenching. Most interesting is Sebold’s description of Heaven, a place where each and every person has their own version that essentially forms from wishes, dreams and aspirations.

Ultimately putting trust back into the human race, Sebold weaves a gripping end that leaves all of the convincing and complex characters happy. Despite the almost fanciful nature of the ending, Sebold gives readers hope that Heaven truly is heavenly.

Joanna Davila can be contacted a j.davila1@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...