BOOK REVIEW The Lovely Bones: Alice Sebold’s debut novel is ‘Lovely’

Listed as one of the best-selling books in the country, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold is an interesting viewpoint on death. The main character, Susie Salmon –yes, like the fish -gets brutally raped and murdered by her neighbor after being lured into an underground shelter while coming home from school one evening. Following the incident, the rest of the novel is told from Heaven, where Susie looks down on her killer, her parents and her friends, keeping watch and narrating the story. Clinging to her life on earth and struggling to accept the finality of her death, Susie watches her family fall apart in the aftermath of her disappearance.

Consuming and intriguing, The Lovely Bones is a twisted sort of coming-of-age novel: a story about dealing with the loss of a loved one while still accepting the future. Of course, the drama of her family’s fall out and Susie’s longing to touch the boy she loved on earth is heart wrenching. Most interesting is Sebold’s description of Heaven, a place where each and every person has their own version that essentially forms from wishes, dreams and aspirations.

Ultimately putting trust back into the human race, Sebold weaves a gripping end that leaves all of the convincing and complex characters happy. Despite the almost fanciful nature of the ending, Sebold gives readers hope that Heaven truly is heavenly.

Joanna Davila can be contacted a j.davila1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...