News Briefs

UM celebrates American democracy and diversity

As part of University of Miami’s Celebrating American Democracy and Diversity, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre on campus is hosting Tintypes, a play of pre-World War I America, celebrating the progress of our nation in the lively speech and music of the day, from Sept. 29 to Oct. 9, 2004. Tintypes takes the audience back to a world just introduced to automobiles, electricity, and telephones incorporating the high-spirited songs that were popular from 1890 to 1917, including “Hello, Ma Baby” and “You’re a Grand Old Flag”. Performance dates are Sept. 29, Oct. 1 to 2 and Oct. 6 to 9 at 8 p.m.; matinees are on Oct. 2 and 9 at 2 p.m. Regular admission is $16 for weeknights and matinees; $18 for Friday and Saturday nights. Seniors, Students, UM Faculty, Staff and Alumni Admission is $14 for weeknights and matinees; $16 for Friday and Saturday nights. UM Student Admission is $8 for weeknights and matinees; $10 for Friday and Saturday nights. Parking is free and plentiful adjacent to the theatre. For more information, call the box office Monday through Friday between 12 p.m. and 5 p.m. at 305-284-3355 or log on to www.miami.edu/ring.

USF Football players’ loot valued at $3,615

(U-WIRE) TAMPA, Fla.– Three University of South Florida freshmen football players accused of theft in the university residence halls could face felony larceny charges.
Linebackers C.J. Hunnicutt and Brouce Mompremier and defensive end Josh Julmiste are under investigation by the State Attorney’s Office, according to Lt. Mike Klingebiel of the University Police. The person whose items were stolen was another football player, a source said, but the identity of the player could not be confirmed.
According to a police report, University Patrol was called on Aug. 30 to investigate “unlawful entry and (the) theft of a Play Station 2, television, VCR, computer, digital video discs, videos and miscellaneous items” valued at $3,615. In Florida, grand larceny, which is a felony, is a theft of more than $300. The report said the items were stolen sometime between 10:30 on the night of Aug. 12 and 5:30 on the afternoon of Aug. 30. Some of the property has been recovered, the report said. It also said that charges were filed with the State Attorney’s Office and the students were referred to Student Affairs.
USF coach Jim Leavitt said the players are not active members of the team at this time.
“They have violated team rules. Things have been done that they messed up on,” Leavitt said. “We’re trying to decide right now whether they’ll even be with us or not. Right now they are not with us.”

UM has been chosen as one of only five universities to participate in the CLASS PROJECT Campus Life in America Survey. This prestigious research project of Princeton University is the first of its kind. Check your email for instructions on how to participate in the survey.

Toppel offers a variety of workshops to help you succeed in your job search. All workshops take place in the Toppel Career Library and include job searching on the web, power networking, and resume/cover letter writing. Please visit www.miami.edu/toppel/programs for more information.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...