CD Review TOBY LIGHTMAN

Toby Lightman is a rising singer whose brand new cover of Mary J. Blige’s “Real Love” and sultry vocals are taking over the radio airwaves. Releasing her CD with 12 solid tracks, Little Things is a sexy, soulful R&B album backed by rich themes. Using drums, strings, piano, and guitar, the beats range from upbeat and on the border pop to slow and sensual. Lightman’s raw, edgy voice garbles about love, fear and rejection; themes that although constantly rehashed, still seem fresh with airiness at every note.

Somewhat similar to songstress Joss Stone, Toby’s music is provocative to the mind, to the soul and even to sexuality. Infectious, the soothing melodious tunes evoke a sense of determined femininity, a trait that Toby has obviously mastered through her music. Not completely full of deep ballads and murmurings of longing, tracks such as “Devils and Angels” and “Leave It Inside” are both powerful and animated enough to induce some sexy dance moves.

Whether Toby Lightman’s Little Things takes residence in the car, the CD player or the iPod, her invigorating songs will leave anyone empowered. As the lyrics state, “Your songs don’t leave my mind…” neither will Lightman’s after a few listens.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...