CD Review OLD 97s

After a four year hiatus, the Old 97s are back with their sixth record. Drag It Up sees the band in a much more mellow, introspective mood then their previous poppy albums. The Old 97s are a pop rock band from the south with a bit of a country hint.

They kick things off with the relatively upbeat track “Won’t Be Home,” which tells the story of a rough break-up punctuated by the lines, “I’m pulling off the road, I’m opening the door. I’m giving you the pavement, I’m telling you what for. You’re no more than a thought and you’re getting smaller in my rearview mirror.”

At times this album gets a bit too mellow. The track “Blinding Sheets of Rain,” with lyrics like “I love you lost its meaning to shipwrecked fools like me,” is a standard tale of lost love that just sort of drags on.

After a lull in the middle of the album of some well-written (but painfully slow) songs, the vengeful track “New Kid” gives this CD new life. This song is the story of a former new kid who’s bitter at his replacement. “I’m gonna toil away until my judgement day, I will be rewarded for the good that I did.”

“Adelaide” is one of the most solemn but interesting tracks on the album. The lyrics repeatedly appeal to heaven for help with the problems of love and different trials of life. The ironic tale of “Friends Forever,” is about a normal kid who didn’t fit a stereotype, but found out life outside of high school was much different and better.

This is a personal and honest album that will connect to anyone who hasn’t led a picture perfect life.

Matt Dingerdissen can be contacted at m.dingerdissen@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...