BOOK REVIEW The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time: A fantastical story that appeals to the mind

Eccentric, interesting, mysterious; three words that describe novelist Mark Haddon’s best seller titled The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. Set in England, the novel slowly weaves a tale about a special needs child named Christopher John Francis Boone and his trials with life. Set off by the abrupt and anonymous murder of the neighbor’s dog, Wellington, Christopher begins to play detective. Determined to solve the murder mystery of Wellington, Christopher discovers more than what he originally planned to know by defying his father and speaking to strangers, learning secrets about his past that only affect his future.

The twist of the story becomes somewhat evident midway through the book, however.Christopher’s intricate details about numbers, details and eccentricities are intriguing and unlike other characters in popular novels. Accompanied by his pet rat Toby, Christopher’s discoveries are documented in a book written by himself, providing the reader with added perspectives to the already unusual story.

Remarkably well written, Mark Haddon makes the challenging story of an autistic boy truly come to life within the pages of his novel. Despite the improbability of such a tale, the ease with which the fantasy is written appeals to the mind. Easy to read and delightfully engaging, Haddon’s novel deserves its title of national bestseller.

Joanna Davila can be contacted a j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...