EDITORIAL Home sweet hotel

Since last year, University of Miami students have been living in the Holiday Inn on U.S. 1 because there was not enough available housing for them in the University. This year, the situation has worsened, and students are living both in the Holiday Inn and the Dadeland Marriott. This means that over 300 UM students are living in hotels.

In other words, UM is facing a housing crisis.

Hurricane Frances highlighted the seriousness of the housing problem when hotel students evacuated to the Convocation Center on campus (the hotels were not considered structurally sound). The University handled the hurricane situation well, but for the unlucky hotel students that have to deal with the day-to-day hassles of living off campus in a commercial hotel, it was unfortunate that they couldn’t even be in comfortable surroundings during the hurricane lockdown.

Living off campus is not a tragedy, as UM’s large commuter population can attest to. It is, however, incredibly unfair that someone that has paid the same tuition, room, and board as the students living in the residential colleges is unable to live on campus.

Among the students assigned to hotels are transfer and international students new to UM that instead of enjoying the college experience they were looking forward to -being able to walk to the dining halls, UC, and classrooms in under 10 minutes -are forced to cross U.S.1 or take the Metrorail or shuttle to campus.

Granted, some students enjoy living in the hotels since the rooms are larger, all rooms have a bathroom (shared by only two people), and hotel personnel change the sheets and towels. In fact, this housing would be entirely acceptable if the students living in the hotels had chosen to do so. That, however, is not always the case.

It’s one thing if returning students are given the option to live in the hotels and willingly accept it. It’s quite another to put excited, bright-eyed new students in an impersonal, off-campus structure. These students- and their parents – are disappointed and turned off from the University when they find they are living in a hotel. In fact, it wouldn’t be surprising if hotel students were less likely to get involved on campus and have a harder time making friends than their on-campus counterparts, since it’s more difficult for them to make it to the University for club meetings, among other things.

The housing situation will only improve once the University treats this issue as a top priority and addresses it by building more on-campus housing. Solving this problem was the motivation behind constructing the University Village, but that project has stalled so many times that it’s starting to look like a more immediate solution is necessary. Building a School of Music Library, an extension to the School of Communication, and a new School of Nursing are all important academically-speaking, but no one will want to come to UM for its academics once they find out they won’t be guaranteed a dorm on campus.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...