CD REVIEW Blue Cathedral

Blue Cathedral, the third CD from Comets on Fire, is a throwback rock album. At times the band produces Pink Floyd-like guitar solos and at others they’re reminiscent of the Doors and their psychedelic instrumentals.

The band was put together by Ethan Miller (guitar/vocals) and Ben Flashman (bass) in Santa Cruz, California. The band is now five members large with the new addition of second guitarist Ben Chasny.

The album starts off quickly with the seven-minute track “The Bee and the Cracking Egg,” which goes insanely fast for the first half of the song, then finally winds down at the end. The second track, “Pussy Foot the Duke,” is slower but surprisingly happy. The song features a jazzy guitar-centered tune broken up by an upbeat chorus.

The trademark of this album is that all of its eight tracks break down in the end, and this is arguably the most enjoyable part of each song. That’s not to say that the organized sections are boring, but rather to underscore this band’s ability to improvise and go nuts.

Lyrics are few and far between on this album, but that doesn’t really matter because you can’t understand them anyway. The messages of these songs are present in their mood and tempo. Miller’s screaming definitely adds to the psychedelic effect of the music.

Nothing like this has been widely released lately, and this is an album to check out for fans of any kind of rock.

Matt Dingerdissen can be contacted at m.dingerdissen@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...