Brutvan has big plans for cross-country team

Miami runners have been enjoying the spotlight throughout the past year.

Former Hurricane Davian Clarke attempted to win his second Olympic Medal in Athens this past summer competing for his native Jamaica, while 2004 NCAA Champion Lauryn Williams won a silver medal in the 100 meters. Alex Brutvan is the latest Hurricane ready for national attention.

A junior Business major from Boca Raton, Brutvan ran both cross-country and track in high school, earning MVP honors from his team and in individual competition, winning a district championship in the 3200-meters as a junior and a senior and having top-five finishes in the 1600-meters, 3200-meters and 4×800 relay at the FHSAA Class 2A State Finals.

As a ‘Cane, Brutvan was the top finisher for Miami in all of their cross-country meets during the 2003 season, won two events and finished 57th at the NCAA South Region Championships.

After cross-country season, Brutvan suffered a stress fracture in his fibula, which he recovered from before track season. Brutvan’s track campaign qualified him for both the Big East Championships and the USATF Junior Nationals. However, he unfortunately did not compete due to a stress fracture in his femur that he suffered during outdoor season.

“I was falling apart last year,” Brutvan said jokingly.

With the nightmare of last year’s injuries behind him, Miami’s inaugural ACC campaign gives Brutvan an optimistic outlook on things to come.

“I’d like to be an All-South Regional Top 25,” he said, “possibly Top 20 ACC.”

Fulfilling personal goals are just one of the many plans Brutvan has for this season along with being co-captain of what he considers to be the best cross-country squad he’s ran with, although some of the standouts from previous seasons are gone, like senior Matt Mulvaney, who transferred to Michigan and is attempting to walk-on to their squad.

“James [Mullaly] and I hold captain’s practices on days we can’t work with our coach and we try to set examples and make lot of decisions with the team on those days,” he said.

Brutvan’s examples have started showing early this season, taking the top collegiate position at the FIU/Lourdes invitational at Tropical Park on Sept. 11 with a time of 16:00.50. Sophomore Tom Berry finished second and Mullaly finished third.

Along with his cross-country success, Brutvan wants to return to track for the 2005 season.

“If I can stay injury free, I’m hoping to run both indoor and outdoor this year…especially after last year,” he said. “I want to settle the score.”

Rodolfo Tomarchio can be contacted at r.tomarchio@umaimi.edu.

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...