Brutvan has big plans for cross-country team

Miami runners have been enjoying the spotlight throughout the past year.

Former Hurricane Davian Clarke attempted to win his second Olympic Medal in Athens this past summer competing for his native Jamaica, while 2004 NCAA Champion Lauryn Williams won a silver medal in the 100 meters. Alex Brutvan is the latest Hurricane ready for national attention.

A junior Business major from Boca Raton, Brutvan ran both cross-country and track in high school, earning MVP honors from his team and in individual competition, winning a district championship in the 3200-meters as a junior and a senior and having top-five finishes in the 1600-meters, 3200-meters and 4×800 relay at the FHSAA Class 2A State Finals.

As a ‘Cane, Brutvan was the top finisher for Miami in all of their cross-country meets during the 2003 season, won two events and finished 57th at the NCAA South Region Championships.

After cross-country season, Brutvan suffered a stress fracture in his fibula, which he recovered from before track season. Brutvan’s track campaign qualified him for both the Big East Championships and the USATF Junior Nationals. However, he unfortunately did not compete due to a stress fracture in his femur that he suffered during outdoor season.

“I was falling apart last year,” Brutvan said jokingly.

With the nightmare of last year’s injuries behind him, Miami’s inaugural ACC campaign gives Brutvan an optimistic outlook on things to come.

“I’d like to be an All-South Regional Top 25,” he said, “possibly Top 20 ACC.”

Fulfilling personal goals are just one of the many plans Brutvan has for this season along with being co-captain of what he considers to be the best cross-country squad he’s ran with, although some of the standouts from previous seasons are gone, like senior Matt Mulvaney, who transferred to Michigan and is attempting to walk-on to their squad.

“James [Mullaly] and I hold captain’s practices on days we can’t work with our coach and we try to set examples and make lot of decisions with the team on those days,” he said.

Brutvan’s examples have started showing early this season, taking the top collegiate position at the FIU/Lourdes invitational at Tropical Park on Sept. 11 with a time of 16:00.50. Sophomore Tom Berry finished second and Mullaly finished third.

Along with his cross-country success, Brutvan wants to return to track for the 2005 season.

“If I can stay injury free, I’m hoping to run both indoor and outdoor this year…especially after last year,” he said. “I want to settle the score.”

Rodolfo Tomarchio can be contacted at r.tomarchio@umaimi.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...