Another Canes Comeback

Worth the wait

‘Canes in suspense as UM wins sixth straight game against FSU

The game may not have been on Monday Night Football, but the 78,622 fans who turned out at the Orange Bowl didn’t seem to mind. After the mounting hype for the kickoff University of Miami vs. Florida State University football game, ‘Canes fans got all of the action and frenzy they craved, and some more.

“I just couldn’t believe how many fans showed up,” Suchita Thakkar, sophomore, said. “I was especially taken aback that it wasn’t just college kids – everyone from toddlers to grandparents were there to support their team.”

When the ‘Canes were down 10-0 at the end of the third quarter, many students were hopeful but hesitant about a win.

“I really hoped we would win but I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen,” Liana Harper, sophomore, said. “I never counted them out, but it was definitely looking grim.”

Despite fears of losing, students admit that the game kept everyone in suspense until the last minute -literally. The ‘Canes tied the game with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter, and won with an FSU turnover and touchdown in overtime.

“I wasn’t expecting at all that we’d come back and win,” Timothy Janicki, sophomore, said. “I was really doubtful after the last interception about us winning. It was a really exciting game, especially in the fourth quarter.”

Others expected victory but had some critiques of the team.

“Our defense was awesome but our offense needs work,” Caleb Brown, sophomore, said. However, he never thought UM would lose. “It was always in the back of my mind that we’d win,” Brown said.

“It was a great game because the Hurricanes always manage to save something for the end,” Barbara Reynolds, sophomore, said. “We’re definitely a fourth-quarter team.”

Sophomore Amanda DiGiovanni agreed.

“I didn’t think we were going to lose for one second because we always pull through in the fourth quarter,” DiGiovanni said.

Regardless of personal projections on winning or losing, students were united in expressing their deep pride and support for the ‘Canes.

“You always know we have a chance of winning even when we’re down,” Janicki said. “The ‘Canes always seem to pull through in the heat of the moment.”

Teressa Dalpe can be contacted at t.dalpe@umiami.edu.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...