Another Canes Comeback

Worth the wait

‘Canes in suspense as UM wins sixth straight game against FSU

The game may not have been on Monday Night Football, but the 78,622 fans who turned out at the Orange Bowl didn’t seem to mind. After the mounting hype for the kickoff University of Miami vs. Florida State University football game, ‘Canes fans got all of the action and frenzy they craved, and some more.

“I just couldn’t believe how many fans showed up,” Suchita Thakkar, sophomore, said. “I was especially taken aback that it wasn’t just college kids – everyone from toddlers to grandparents were there to support their team.”

When the ‘Canes were down 10-0 at the end of the third quarter, many students were hopeful but hesitant about a win.

“I really hoped we would win but I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen,” Liana Harper, sophomore, said. “I never counted them out, but it was definitely looking grim.”

Despite fears of losing, students admit that the game kept everyone in suspense until the last minute -literally. The ‘Canes tied the game with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter, and won with an FSU turnover and touchdown in overtime.

“I wasn’t expecting at all that we’d come back and win,” Timothy Janicki, sophomore, said. “I was really doubtful after the last interception about us winning. It was a really exciting game, especially in the fourth quarter.”

Others expected victory but had some critiques of the team.

“Our defense was awesome but our offense needs work,” Caleb Brown, sophomore, said. However, he never thought UM would lose. “It was always in the back of my mind that we’d win,” Brown said.

“It was a great game because the Hurricanes always manage to save something for the end,” Barbara Reynolds, sophomore, said. “We’re definitely a fourth-quarter team.”

Sophomore Amanda DiGiovanni agreed.

“I didn’t think we were going to lose for one second because we always pull through in the fourth quarter,” DiGiovanni said.

Regardless of personal projections on winning or losing, students were united in expressing their deep pride and support for the ‘Canes.

“You always know we have a chance of winning even when we’re down,” Janicki said. “The ‘Canes always seem to pull through in the heat of the moment.”

Teressa Dalpe can be contacted at t.dalpe@umiami.edu.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...