Another Canes Comeback

Worth the wait

‘Canes in suspense as UM wins sixth straight game against FSU

The game may not have been on Monday Night Football, but the 78,622 fans who turned out at the Orange Bowl didn’t seem to mind. After the mounting hype for the kickoff University of Miami vs. Florida State University football game, ‘Canes fans got all of the action and frenzy they craved, and some more.

“I just couldn’t believe how many fans showed up,” Suchita Thakkar, sophomore, said. “I was especially taken aback that it wasn’t just college kids – everyone from toddlers to grandparents were there to support their team.”

When the ‘Canes were down 10-0 at the end of the third quarter, many students were hopeful but hesitant about a win.

“I really hoped we would win but I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen,” Liana Harper, sophomore, said. “I never counted them out, but it was definitely looking grim.”

Despite fears of losing, students admit that the game kept everyone in suspense until the last minute -literally. The ‘Canes tied the game with 30 seconds left in the fourth quarter, and won with an FSU turnover and touchdown in overtime.

“I wasn’t expecting at all that we’d come back and win,” Timothy Janicki, sophomore, said. “I was really doubtful after the last interception about us winning. It was a really exciting game, especially in the fourth quarter.”

Others expected victory but had some critiques of the team.

“Our defense was awesome but our offense needs work,” Caleb Brown, sophomore, said. However, he never thought UM would lose. “It was always in the back of my mind that we’d win,” Brown said.

“It was a great game because the Hurricanes always manage to save something for the end,” Barbara Reynolds, sophomore, said. “We’re definitely a fourth-quarter team.”

Sophomore Amanda DiGiovanni agreed.

“I didn’t think we were going to lose for one second because we always pull through in the fourth quarter,” DiGiovanni said.

Regardless of personal projections on winning or losing, students were united in expressing their deep pride and support for the ‘Canes.

“You always know we have a chance of winning even when we’re down,” Janicki said. “The ‘Canes always seem to pull through in the heat of the moment.”

Teressa Dalpe can be contacted at t.dalpe@umiami.edu.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...