Two UM leaders leave great legacies Provost

Dr. Luis Glaser, UM’s executive vice president and provost, recently announced his resignation to the UM community. After serving for 18 years as the head of students’ academic affairs and chief budget officer, Glaser is stepping down to dedicate more time to teaching.

“I am a scientist. It’s time to step aside and let someone with new vision and new ideas come in,” Glaser said. “There is never a perfect time to step aside, but I think it is time.”

Before he was provost at UM, Glaser taught at Washington University in St. Louis for 33 years. He was the director for biological science and also was in charge of the research lab.

Glaser lives his life by two philosophies.

“One is, never do things halfway. Commit and give all you got,” Glaser said. “The other is strive for excellence.”

Glaser has left his mark on UM, through both his efforts as an administrator and his relationships at UM.

“Dr. Glaser has so much knowledge about the subjects he teaches,” said Swati Chalavarya, a sophomore who took Cellular and Molecular Biology with Glaser last semester. “You can really tell that he loves what he’s doing.”

“I have worked with Dr. Glaser for six years,” Elizabeth Markowitz, Glaser’s executive assistant, said. “Dr. Glaser is absolutely wonderful and is totally devoted to the university. He is brilliant and cares very deeply about the school.”

Glaser will continue to teach biology and work closely with UM President Donna Shalala. He wants the new provost to recognize the height to which he and others are trying to take the school.

“I hope the next provost continues to make progress. Progress makes UM better and more powerful,” he said. “We need more gifted people in the arts, science, mathematics, whichever area. I hope he continues to move us forward.”

Glaser went on to say that UM is young compared to other institutions that are hundreds of years old, and that the university will become better and more recognized as it gets older.

“People make progress happen,” Glaser said. “Recruiting the best students will only make us better.”

“[Glaser’s] legacy will be a university that is better, both academically and financially, as a result of his countless contributions and tireless efforts to make this university better,” Markowitz said. “Dr. Glaser will be missed.”

Judith Hudson can be contacted at j.hudson1@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...