Two UM leaders leave great legacies Dean

When Dr. Edward Pfister, founding dean of the School of Communication, first began to serve at the school, his goal was to make the program nationally known and admired. He accomplished those goals – now he wants to end his successful career teaching in the classrooms, where he says he has had the most enjoyment. This is one of the reasons Pfister recently decided to resign from his position.

“When I first got to this school my goal was to provide basic organization and basic leadership,” Pfister said. “It was a brand new school, and those goals were accomplished 12 to 18 months after that.”

This May, after 19 years as dean of the School of Communication, he can be satisfied as he steps down from his position, knowing that he has fulfilled his ambitions. The School of Communication is now a nationally renowned program, and it continues to rise higher.

“I think [Pfister] has been doing a great job, and that can be seen just by looking at the School of Communication and the students and faculty within it,” Nicole Becker, junior and print journalism major, said. “The programs, speakers and opportunities for students never seem to cease, and I don’t think any communication student can deny that.”

Dr. Robert Hosmon, associate dean of the School of Communication, and Pfister’s colleague of 13 years, speaks highly of Pfister’s achievements.

“He took a small program, and turned it into a nationally recognized program,” Hosmon said. “We are headed to becoming one of the elite programs in the country”

“I only interacted with him briefly, but he was a good man and did a lot for the School of Communication,” Kerri-Anne Alexanderson, senior and motion pictures major, said. “He really wanted us to learn and benefit from his experience as well as the experience of the other communication professors.”

Dr. Pfister will take a sabbatical for one year, and then he will be back at UM doing what he loves most-teaching in the classrooms. During his year off, he will spend time with his grandchildren, read and organize lessons for his future courses, which will include Public Broadcasting and Communication Ethics.

“Everything is now in place,” Pfister said. “My job is essentially done, and it is up to someone else now to take it to the next level.”

Vanessa Krause can be contacted at v.krause@umiami.edu.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...