President Bush’s message is crystal clear: I suck

To understand the hypocrisy of the Republican National Convention (RNC), one has to look back on what President Bush has accomplished these past four years: nothing (well, nothing of value, anyway).

George W. Bush came to Washington as a minority president, lacking a clear mandate from the voters as well as any real experience in the political world outside the one full four-year term and half-term he served as governor of Texas and his failed run for the House of Representatives.

Once elected, his administration had no focus and no objectives except to enact a series of ridiculous tax breaks that the country clearly would not be able to afford.

All that changed on Sept. 11, 2001.

The horror of 9/11 gave the Bush Administration a chance to organize itself and really accomplish something for the American people. Yet, as we all know, President Bush suffocated his record-high approval ratings to record lows with his isolationist, “you’re either with us or against us” stance on fighting the global war on terror in this ever shrinking world. That is the Bush presidency in a nutshell: the war on terror (which is now, apparently, un-winnable) and enormous tax cuts.

The tax cuts have all but bankrupted the federal government, while the war on terror and homeland security remain under-funded, citing several instances (I have the list if you’d like it) when appropriations bills were brought to a screeching halt because the Bush Administration and Senate Republicans “warned that such spending ‘[would]only expand the size of government.'”

We’ve seen this before with the Bush Administration and the “No Child Left Behind” Act, and we saw it again last week with President Bush’s speech to the RNC. Whether it was healthcare reform, education reform, social security reform, or national security reform, President Bush has failed to fund or ever present a plan for funding any of the things he promised in 2000 and is again promising in 2004.

Perhaps, next to “I suck,” a much more succinct way of paraphrasing Bush’s message, provided by The Daily Show’s Jon Stewart, would be along the lines of this: Elect Bush so he can finish the things he never started.

Luke Kosar can be contacted at l.kosar@umaimi.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...