PLANTLIFE THROWS DOWN FUNKY BEATS

This is a test: Turn on the radio to your favorite station. Listen to it for three hours, and count how many times you hear the same song on their rotation. If it was back in the day, you would have only counted the song once, but for some reason, radio feels that listeners like hearing the same songs every hour. In an age where music is becoming homogenized and formulaic, it’s refreshing to hear artists who go against what is considered “popular” and make music that comes from the heart. The Plantlife have done just that on their new album, The Return of Jack Splash.

Even though the pioneer of Funk music— Rick James- has passed away, his influence can definitely be heard on this album along with other artists like Prince, Andre 3000 and Sleepy Brown. Before listening to the album on a lyrical level, I was instantly hooked with the throwback feel of funk music. All 19 tracks are organically made with the sole intention of making you feel good and want to get up and dance.

Standout tracks include infectious love groove, “When she smiles she lights the sky” which is self explanatory in the title’s name. Other tracks like “Got2Get2gether4Luv” and “Beautiful Babies” are also personal favorites. The Plantlife’s The Return of Jack Splash will have anyone shakin’ to the funk beats.

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...