PLANTLIFE THROWS DOWN FUNKY BEATS

This is a test: Turn on the radio to your favorite station. Listen to it for three hours, and count how many times you hear the same song on their rotation. If it was back in the day, you would have only counted the song once, but for some reason, radio feels that listeners like hearing the same songs every hour. In an age where music is becoming homogenized and formulaic, it’s refreshing to hear artists who go against what is considered “popular” and make music that comes from the heart. The Plantlife have done just that on their new album, The Return of Jack Splash.

Even though the pioneer of Funk music— Rick James- has passed away, his influence can definitely be heard on this album along with other artists like Prince, Andre 3000 and Sleepy Brown. Before listening to the album on a lyrical level, I was instantly hooked with the throwback feel of funk music. All 19 tracks are organically made with the sole intention of making you feel good and want to get up and dance.

Standout tracks include infectious love groove, “When she smiles she lights the sky” which is self explanatory in the title’s name. Other tracks like “Got2Get2gether4Luv” and “Beautiful Babies” are also personal favorites. The Plantlife’s The Return of Jack Splash will have anyone shakin’ to the funk beats.

Marcus Washington can be contacted at m.washington2@umiami.edu.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...