LETTER TO THE EDITOR

To the editor:

Yes, Darren, you are entitled your opinion about President Shalala’s decision to accept Willie Williams (The Hurricane, Aug. 31), but I think you may be well off base. I agree that 11 arrests are ludicrous; however, there may be other circumstances for Williams’ acceptance to this University.

One expects that a story written by a journalist has been researched satisfactorily. True, your commentary was just your opinion, but even an opinion should be based on fact. Too often, journalists resort to fabrication, plagiarism and sensationalism, as evidenced in some of the more respected newspapers today.

President Shalala was privileged to information in Williams’ personal file that is not available to the general public. From that information, the officials of the University of Miami’s Admissions Office saw it fit to accept this young man. I know from my personal experience years ago that a lot of weight is placed on letters of recommendation that a prospective student has submitted as part of the application process. I sat in the office of a department chair as he ridiculed my grades as an undergraduate. However, when he read letters of recommendation, the department chair, just as President Shalala has done with Williams, accepted me into the program I wanted to pursue with conditions that I had to meet in order to maintain my enrollment in said program.

Don’t get caught up in the sensationalism of the press. Investigate the matter and give Williams a break. Talk to the young man and those who have guided him and see why they have hope for Williams as an individual and not just as an athlete. The courts of this land and this University did, why can’t you?

Edgar DeGuzman

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...