EDITORIAL: It’s still just a football game

Hurricanes Charley and Frances have put football in perspective, a perspective often lost in the frenzy leading up to and following hyped games like tonight’s University of Miami-Florida State University match-up.
FSU Head Coach Bobby Bowden lost two family members – his grandson and former son-in-law – in an automobile accident during Frances. Our condolences go out to him and his loved ones.
Unfortunately, it takes devastating situations like these to remind us of what’s really important.
We find it disconcerting that the greatest number of questions UM’s rumor hotline received during the hurricane had to do with the postponement the UM-FSU game. Students worried that they would not have the game to amuse them on Labor Day. Forget about the players, their families, and the anxious state of mind of Floridians. Instead of expressing concern over potential structural damage, power outages, and loss of life caused by Frances’ winds, we were most troubled by the rescheduling of a football game. The keyword, however, is still game.
Sports are a celebration of athleticism and a form of entertainment that, although necessary, ought to take a backseat to other, more important, matters.
We get carried away debating whether Willie Williams should have been admitted, whether Frank Gore or Tyrone Moss would make a better running back, and whether Brock Berlin deserves a second chance at quarterback. Tonight, we will whine about too few student seats and too long a wait to get in the Orange Bowl.
In the grand scheme of things, these so-called problems are immaterial.
Our football team is undoubtedly a significant part of the University. Indeed, it brings much-needed money and press to UM, and, as students, we enjoy the emotional outbursts, cutthroat rivalries and hoarsening cheering that come with a strong football culture. In addition, many student-athletes can only study at a university of UM’s caliber thanks to sports and the scholarships that they often bring.
Football, however, should not be the driving force in our lives. Tonight, when we spell C-A-N-E-S and squeal about the Hurricanes’ first downs, we would be well served remembering that – and counting our blessings.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...