Drive by truckers haul old FASHIONED southern rock

The latest album from the Drive By Truckers is a collection of unusual monologues and poems with rough edges. Most of the songs are character pieces: some of southern stereotypes (tornado victims and famous sheriffs) and others of unlikely individuals (war veterans and Nascar fans). The Dirty South sounds like a traditional southern rock album, but the lyrics written by Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood are more than ordinary.

Cooley and Hood take turns singing over instrumentals led by three driving guitars. The heartfelt inflection and Alabama twang in their voices give their songs character, making it easy to believe that these guys are from the south. “Puttin’ People on the Moon” reads like an angry letter to a congressman in the 80s, complaining of the effects of Reaganomics on a lower class family. In that song, Hood protests about “Double digit unemployment, TVA be shutting soon/While over there in Hunstville, they puttin’ people on the moon.”

The song “Sands of Iwo Jima” is probably the highlight of the album. It’s a portrait of a World War II veteran from the point of view of his young nephew. The lyrics sound as though they were actually written by an insightful 10 year old.

The Drive By Truckers are a great D.I.Y. band from Muscle Shoals, Alabama, and they have a lot to say with their music. This CD will definitely appeal to more than their core audience of tornado victims and Nascar fans.

Matt Dingerdissen can be contacted at m.dingerdissen@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...