Cross-country teams aim for UM records

For the men and women’s cross country teams, this season will mark a new journey, as they will compete in the ACC for the first time. Its ultimate goal: making school history.

This year, both teams will start anew with several freshmen newcomers. Unity will be essential for the up-and-coming team to excel this season.

“I think we have a really young team,” Alex Brutvan said. “We have five new freshmen this year, and the freshmen from last year. So we hadn’t been really reaching our team goals in the past few seasons, but I think this year we have the best team since I’ve been here.”

Head Coach Mike Ward, coaching both the men and women this season, will be depending on his top athletes to help guide the younger ones to success. Upperclassmen Melanie Schultz and Marilyn Ruiz will be leading the women, and Brutvan and sophomore Tom Berry for the men.

“We have to provide an example and a certain atmosphere for the rest of the team,” Berry said. “If you get into a situation where there is not a role model who’s not doing everything right and also not succeeding, you can be counterproductive to the team atmosphere.”

Besides guidance, the upperclassmen on both teams will provide the experience necessary to defeat their upcoming opponents. This combination of experience and new talent should lead both teams to successful seasons, specifically for Brutvan, the top finisher in all seven events at the FIU Invitational and Palm Beach Atlantic Sailfish Invitational. Brutvan hopes to be a force to reckon with, as he comes off an injury recharged after deciding not to compete in junior nationals.

Competition for the top spot will be fierce for the men, especially for Berry, the Hurricanes’ second best finisher in all seven events last season. But moreso than personal success, the concern is team strength and performance.

“This year we definitely seem a little stronger, just in our time travel we have four guys that ran better than our No. 1,” Berry said. “So we are definitely going to have a stronger lead pack as opposed to Brutvan all the way in the front and the rest in the back. A lead pack is going to be the key.”

Schultz is also expected to do well this season after being the top finisher in five of the six meets last season, including individual victories at the Palm Beach and FIU Invitational. Schultz also recorded a 40th place finish at the NCAA South Region Cross Country Championships.

The lone senior on the team, Ruiz, performed impressively last season, with her highlight coming in the Hatter Cross Country Invitational, where she finished first.

“I hope we can all run as a pack. I want to get a name out there for us, like the boys,” Ruiz said.

Antoinette Cordova can be contacted at a.cordova1@umiami.edu.

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...