Bowden suffers tragedy before big football game

Florida State Head Coach Bobby Bowden will enter the Orange Bowl tonight with a heavy heart after his grandson and former son-in-law died in a violent car crash Sunday during Hurricane Frances.
According to The Miami Herald, John Allen Madden, 45, and Bowden Madden, 15, were hit by a utility truck on Interstate 10 near Quincy, which is in Florida’s panhandle, and then skidded across the median into the oncoming traffic heading east. The two were killed upon impact.
John Madden played four years for the Seminoles, and was the starting center in 1980. He married Bowden’s daughter Ginger in 1981. The two had reportedly divorced earlier this year.
Earlier this week, University of Miami President Donna Shalala sent her condolences to the Bowden family on behalf of the entire school.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...