Bowden suffers tragedy before big football game

Florida State Head Coach Bobby Bowden will enter the Orange Bowl tonight with a heavy heart after his grandson and former son-in-law died in a violent car crash Sunday during Hurricane Frances.
According to The Miami Herald, John Allen Madden, 45, and Bowden Madden, 15, were hit by a utility truck on Interstate 10 near Quincy, which is in Florida’s panhandle, and then skidded across the median into the oncoming traffic heading east. The two were killed upon impact.
John Madden played four years for the Seminoles, and was the starting center in 1980. He married Bowden’s daughter Ginger in 1981. The two had reportedly divorced earlier this year.
Earlier this week, University of Miami President Donna Shalala sent her condolences to the Bowden family on behalf of the entire school.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...