Football fans gear up for big opening game

The Universty of Miami-Florida State University rivalry grows in strength every year like a hurricane over warm water, and this year is no exception. The most anticipated football game of the season is rapidly approaching. Students are getting psyched for UM’s first home game this Labor Day against FSU.

“It’s a game of many firsts,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said. “Not only will it be Miami’s inauguration game into the ACC, but is also the first Monday Night College Football game to be aired on ABC.”

Whitely said that arriving early to the Orange Bowl is essential. Although an extra 1,000 seats have been added to the east end zone – making a total of 8,000 seats designated to students – students are urged to come early to be guaranteed a seat. Gates will open two-and-a-half hours before the game, and most students have already planned to be there in advance, with many tailgating at the Orange Bowl with their friends.

Football season is always an exciting time at UM. The buzz around campus since the beginning of the semester has surrounded this in-state showdown between the ‘Canes and the ‘Noles.

“Seeing these two teams battle it out always makes for an exciting game and for a great environment on campus as well,” Lindsey Hall, junior, said.

Even freshmen have picked up on the intensity of the UM/FSU rivalry, and are just as hyped up as the rest of the UM community.

“The greatness of our football team is one of the reasons why I chose to attend UM,” Alex Joseph, freshman, said. “I couldn’t be more excited about this match up.”

“I’ve already begun bragging to my friends at FSU about how we’re going to dominate them. ” – MICHELLE DENTON, Junior

The outcome of the game also determines who gets the coveted bragging rights that UM has held for the past four years.

“I’ve already begun bragging to my friends at FSU about how we’re going to dominate them,” Michelle Denton, junior, said. “There is a lot on the line.”

Some students are going so far that they are putting friendships on hold for the game.

Jordon Edwards, junior, has a good friend who attends FSU.

“For one game, we’re not going to be friends,” Edwards said.

“The ‘Canes-Seminoles rivalry is one of the greatest, always ending with classic football moments, such as FSU missing yet another field goal,” Ryan McCavitt, sophomore, said.

According to junior Max Panoff, there is only one thing to say about the rivalry between the ‘Canes and the ‘Noles.

“It’s non-existent. We’ve won the last five games against them, and it’s not going to change now,” Panoff said. “There is no competition.”

Meghan Risser can be contacted at m.risser@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

The University of Miami volleyball team (10-6, 6-3 ACC) came up short in an ACC home match for the f ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...