Football fans gear up for big opening game

The Universty of Miami-Florida State University rivalry grows in strength every year like a hurricane over warm water, and this year is no exception. The most anticipated football game of the season is rapidly approaching. Students are getting psyched for UM’s first home game this Labor Day against FSU.

“It’s a game of many firsts,” Dr. Pat Whitely, vice president of Student Affairs, said. “Not only will it be Miami’s inauguration game into the ACC, but is also the first Monday Night College Football game to be aired on ABC.”

Whitely said that arriving early to the Orange Bowl is essential. Although an extra 1,000 seats have been added to the east end zone – making a total of 8,000 seats designated to students – students are urged to come early to be guaranteed a seat. Gates will open two-and-a-half hours before the game, and most students have already planned to be there in advance, with many tailgating at the Orange Bowl with their friends.

Football season is always an exciting time at UM. The buzz around campus since the beginning of the semester has surrounded this in-state showdown between the ‘Canes and the ‘Noles.

“Seeing these two teams battle it out always makes for an exciting game and for a great environment on campus as well,” Lindsey Hall, junior, said.

Even freshmen have picked up on the intensity of the UM/FSU rivalry, and are just as hyped up as the rest of the UM community.

“The greatness of our football team is one of the reasons why I chose to attend UM,” Alex Joseph, freshman, said. “I couldn’t be more excited about this match up.”

“I’ve already begun bragging to my friends at FSU about how we’re going to dominate them. ” – MICHELLE DENTON, Junior

The outcome of the game also determines who gets the coveted bragging rights that UM has held for the past four years.

“I’ve already begun bragging to my friends at FSU about how we’re going to dominate them,” Michelle Denton, junior, said. “There is a lot on the line.”

Some students are going so far that they are putting friendships on hold for the game.

Jordon Edwards, junior, has a good friend who attends FSU.

“For one game, we’re not going to be friends,” Edwards said.

“The ‘Canes-Seminoles rivalry is one of the greatest, always ending with classic football moments, such as FSU missing yet another field goal,” Ryan McCavitt, sophomore, said.

According to junior Max Panoff, there is only one thing to say about the rivalry between the ‘Canes and the ‘Noles.

“It’s non-existent. We’ve won the last five games against them, and it’s not going to change now,” Panoff said. “There is no competition.”

Meghan Risser can be contacted at m.risser@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...