Follett: Friend or foe?

We are infuriated by the discovery of a Follett newsletter sent out to UM professors asking them to encourage students to buy textbooks exclusively from the on-campus bookstore. As if Follett’s textbook prices weren’t extravagant enough, it has the audacity to send out a four-page publication trying to convince professors that the bookstore provides the real “value” students want.

This is an outrage.

Follett’s plea disguised as an argument is nothing more than a desperate attempt to compete against online booksellers and off-campus stores like Book Horizons without having to lower text prices.

It’s understandable that, as a business, Follett wants (and needs) to make money. Yet, it seems unfair that it wants to make such a profit at the expense of tight-budgeted students, particularly when it holds an on-campus monopoly not only on our required textbooks, but also on office supplies and UM gear.

We understand that the price of the new edition of a textbook is expensive, since that’s the publisher’s decision. However, we don’t understand why Follett buys back used books at a meager price and then sells them three times more expensive the following semester. This makes it seem like used book prices are set arbitrarily and simply to charge students more money unnecessarily.

Luckily, professors don’t seem to have been fooled by Follett’s so-called argument. Many are actually apologetic when they realize what the selling price of their course’s required textbook is.

Besides, no professor wants to look like an ogre by asking his or her students to buy the book on campus.

If the bookstore wants to convince us to purchase its texts, it’s going to have to do more than send out a glossy ad in the form of a newsletter. It should lower the prices of its used books. The price of used books should be set in accordance to the condition of the book; tattered books would be cheaper than well-kept ones, unlike the current system where all used copies cost the same.

The bookstore should also create an on-campus bookselling website for UM students, where we could post textbooks to sell at our asking price. Once the book gets sold – to another UM student, relieving us of shipping costs – the bookstore would pocket a small, reasonable fee per book.

Another step forward would be implementing a reward-point system, where a student would earn points for buying textbooks and redeem them for store credit. This would not be as effective as lowering book prices, but it would be a place to start.

If the bookstore doesn’t begin to make changes, it will be condemned to depending on unsuspecting freshmen customers in order to survive.

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...