A True Seatfiller Experience

I understand that you would like to know all about the VMAs, but my VMA experience started hours before the show even started. Arriving ten minutes later than the check-in time of 2:45 p.m., I began to get worried as I walked to the back of a line that consisted of a few hundred people. Decked out in what I thought to be my exclusive Express Men’s outfit (gray dress pants and a striped pink, red and gray shirt) with my Giorgio Armani glasses to add the finishing touch, I noticed someone wearing the same shirt, adding to my frustration.

As the first hour went by, the line hardly moved. By the fourth hour, the front of the line was in view, and across the street was check-in. With anticipation building, police officers blurted from an intercom that Seatfillers no longer needed us, and anyone not already checked in should go home.

As I stayed on the corner, I noticed everyone was rushing to the check-in gate. Following the crowd, I found some UM schoolmates to get me in the front of the congested and sweaty line, and finally I attained the coveted red wristband.

Arriving at the pre-show, all I could say to myself was, “This arena looks so small, but it’s going to look so big on television.” There were four stages set up on each corner of the arena, and an open space in the middle, later filled courtesy of a casted audience. As a seat-filler, I had the opportunity to sit next to some of the biggest stars in the biz, the first being No Doubt, who sat a few rows ahead. Moving another time, I sat behind J.Lo and husband Marc Anthony, with Will Smith only a few rows away. Throughout the show I spoke to Missy Elliott’s prot

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...