President Shalala insults students with Williams letter

I would like to start off by saying that I have the utmost respect for President Donna E. Shalala, and I think she has done a great job at this university. However, I have a serious objection to the letter she wrote to the “university community” regarding the admittance of Willie Williams. Since she values student feedback so greatly, a simple e-mail would not suffice. I have instead decided to devote a column to express my feelings.

I am neither for nor against Williams being admitted. However, when President Shalala tries to tell the students and community that Williams was admitted for reasons other than athletics, she is feeding the student body a load of crap.

President Shalala severely underestimates the intelligence of her student body by expecting us to believe what she writes in this letter, that Williams was admitted because he is a qualified applicant off the field. I am not debating his academic record, but consider this: if the average student was arrested 11 times and had all the legal problems Williams has, even if he or she had great academic records, he or she would have zero chance of being admitted to this school. While this may not be an indisputable fact, it is as close as you can get to one.

When President Shalala says, “…laws that protect files of young people have resulted in inaccurate public reports – and sloppy conclusions by various so-called experts…” I can’t help but question this piece of information. It is a fact that Williams has been arrested multiple times, 11 to be exact. These are not “inaccurate public reports” as she claims. Things get worse when Williams’ youth becomes an excuse for his actions. Being young does not give you exemption from the law. Unless I missed something, Williams is no younger than the normal freshman. In our youth, we have all made foolish mistakes, but being arrested 11 times goes beyond a momentary lapse in judgment. It is downright ludicrous.

“In our youth, we have all made foolish mistakes, but being arrested 11 times goes beyond a momentary lapse in judgment. It is downright ludicrous.”

When Shalala says, “Mr. Williams is also one of us – a son of Miami. We have a special obligation, relationship, and commitment to the young people of our South Florida community,” I balk at this statement. If we have a special obligation to the young people of South Florida, then we should go to the local prison and admit the inmates.

The University of Miami has made great strides academically and Shalala has done an exceptional job as president. However, when she wrote this letter over the summer addressing the issue, she insulted the intelligence of every student at this university. She attempted to put a positive spin on a negative situation, but was ultimately unsuccessful.

In conclusion, President Shalala, next time, just tell the students the truth. Aren’t we all taught that the truth will set us free? Be honest with us, and give us the real reasons for the decisions you make. We are all adults and we understand how the world works. If we are taking an athlete for their abilities, trust your student body enough to understand that. Don’t try to fool us into accepting a university spin job. It won’t work, and it will simply cause people like me to write columns in The Hurricane about you.

Darren Grossman can be contacted at d.grossman@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...