JAM AT MAM: Bringing Miami Culture to life

A once a month happy hour event at the Miami Art Museum, JAM at MAM is an opportunity for art enthusiasts to view highlighted art exhibits while lapping up cocktails and slipping bits of sushi and hors d’oeuvres down their highly bejeweled throats. As a break from the expected, this month’s JAM at MAM advertised a trinity sure to attract crowds: art, music and fashion, in addition to a sponsorship by Miami beverage favorite, Bacardi.

Vibrant, bright, and absurdly energetic Ash Rana and JD Natasha’s combined bill for JAM at MAM attracted an enormous crowd comprised of fashionistas, museumgoers, and those with a flair for individualism. Intermingling in the crowd were various members of the press, some of Miami’s noted professionals, and a few social untouchables, all eagerly awaiting the debut of Miami- based designer Ash Rana’s Spring/Summer 2005 Japanical Collection.

After a few Bacardi and cokes and some impromptu break dancing to the raging house beats, the models filed onto the runway, taking the catwalk in a flurry of color. Using chiffon, silk, cotton and some linen, the striking wardrobe grabbed every on-looker’s attention with winged sleeves, low necklines, and artistic hemlines. Amid the flashbulbs the crowed cooed as each model confidently strutted the strip, the multitudes practically drowning out the music. The 30-minute display of style proved once again that Ash Rana truly has taste in design, delivering a solid collection of Japanese-inspired spring looks. His pieces can justly be called art.

Not to be out-staged, local Latina singer/songwriter JD Natasha fed off the energetic crowd and delivered a body moving performance, after the scene on the catwalk. Serenading the crowd with ballad “Tanto,” the budding songstress promoted her debut album, Imperfecta. Decorated in a jean mini complete with safety pins and a purple glittering heart-shaped guitar, Natasha’s act promoted screams of “We love Natasha” and “Go Girl” from the audience.

By nine o’clock the crowd was waning, finishing its last Bacardi and somethings, ready to hit the scene; after all, JAM at MAM does occur on a Thursday. However, the spectacle of art, music, and fashion combined proved that pockets of Miami culture do exist, despite the “South Beach” reputation.
Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...