JAM AT MAM: Bringing Miami Culture to life

A once a month happy hour event at the Miami Art Museum, JAM at MAM is an opportunity for art enthusiasts to view highlighted art exhibits while lapping up cocktails and slipping bits of sushi and hors d’oeuvres down their highly bejeweled throats. As a break from the expected, this month’s JAM at MAM advertised a trinity sure to attract crowds: art, music and fashion, in addition to a sponsorship by Miami beverage favorite, Bacardi.

Vibrant, bright, and absurdly energetic Ash Rana and JD Natasha’s combined bill for JAM at MAM attracted an enormous crowd comprised of fashionistas, museumgoers, and those with a flair for individualism. Intermingling in the crowd were various members of the press, some of Miami’s noted professionals, and a few social untouchables, all eagerly awaiting the debut of Miami- based designer Ash Rana’s Spring/Summer 2005 Japanical Collection.

After a few Bacardi and cokes and some impromptu break dancing to the raging house beats, the models filed onto the runway, taking the catwalk in a flurry of color. Using chiffon, silk, cotton and some linen, the striking wardrobe grabbed every on-looker’s attention with winged sleeves, low necklines, and artistic hemlines. Amid the flashbulbs the crowed cooed as each model confidently strutted the strip, the multitudes practically drowning out the music. The 30-minute display of style proved once again that Ash Rana truly has taste in design, delivering a solid collection of Japanese-inspired spring looks. His pieces can justly be called art.

Not to be out-staged, local Latina singer/songwriter JD Natasha fed off the energetic crowd and delivered a body moving performance, after the scene on the catwalk. Serenading the crowd with ballad “Tanto,” the budding songstress promoted her debut album, Imperfecta. Decorated in a jean mini complete with safety pins and a purple glittering heart-shaped guitar, Natasha’s act promoted screams of “We love Natasha” and “Go Girl” from the audience.

By nine o’clock the crowd was waning, finishing its last Bacardi and somethings, ready to hit the scene; after all, JAM at MAM does occur on a Thursday. However, the spectacle of art, music, and fashion combined proved that pockets of Miami culture do exist, despite the “South Beach” reputation.
Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...