It’s All Fair at Carville and Matalin’s debate address

While John Kerry and President Bush have been hitting the campaign trail, the UM community has been gearing up to host the first Presidential Debate. The highlight event of this year’s freshman orientation was speeches by political strategists, and married couple of more than ten years, James Carville and Mary Matalin, co-authors of the book All’s Fair: Love, War and Running for President. The book was also given to all incoming freshman and transfer students as part of orientation.

Matalin is a Republican strategist and serves as assistant to the president and counselor to the vice president. Carville is a Democratic strategist and was senior advisor to former President Bill Clinton.

The two first spoke individually, each speech full of marriage banter and political humor.

Carville made fun of the President’s notorious “Bushisms,” while Matalin portrayed the Democrats as overconfident and arrogant. They also focused heavily on the upcoming presidential election.

“This election is not just about change; it’s about choice,” Matalin said.

“I think the voter turnout is going to be enormous,” Carville said. “There is nothing that will energize people to vote more than a war and a poor economy.”

Carville also commented on the Democratic Party campaign — he feels that the Party is stronger than ever.

“I’ve never seen Democrats as energized, as motivated,” he said.

Carville even went so far as to predict the winner of the November election. Perhaps not surprisingly, he foresees Senator John Kerry becoming the next president.

Matalin had many criticisms of the Democratic Party, commenting that the fundamental flaw in the Kerry campaign is that they “think they can’t lose.”

“If [Bush] is such a disaster, then why isn’t Kerry running away with the campaign?” Matalin asked. “We are going into our convention really, truthfully, ahead of where we thought we would be.”

Both gave students their words of wisdom about leaders. Matalin’s single piece of advice for any candidate running for a political position: “Be for something. You can’t be something with nothing.”

“So many people believe leadership is doing something the people don’t want you to do…a real leader brings people along to what they want to do,” Carville said.

The speeches were followed by a question and answer session, in which students were able to ask Carville and Matalin their political questions.

For more information about upcoming events at UM connected to the Presidential Debate, visit www.miami.edu/debate04.

Megha Garg can be contacted at m.garg2@umiami.edu.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...