Bling, Bling, and more Bling: Rap Artists Strut their stuff

The Convocation Center may have been home to Winnie the Pooh and Bob the Builder last year, but it seems as though it finally realized what sells tickets: hip-hop stars, and lots of them. Miami’s own hip-hop and R&B radio station WMIB 103.5 The Beat, pulled some major strings and got a first class line-up for their Beat Down concert.

The line-up ranged from Ja Rule and Ashanti to the Ying Yang Twins and Trick Daddy. Chart topper Kanye West closed the over four-hour show, which also included performances from T.O.K, 8Ball & MJG, and Fat Joe with the infamous Terror Squad. Petey Pablo was a no show, but I doubt anybody really noticed or cared.

For the first time since it’s opening, the Convocation Center had a sold out concert, filled to capacity with eager concert goers. Unfortunately, seeing as the show took place in the middle of the summer (June 27 to be exact) when most students were far, far away from campus, the crowd lacked the typical drunk sorority girl/wannabe rappers that one would expect. Instead, there was a lot of blinding bling, both on and off stage and the not- so-faint aroma of marijuana. The show, to say the least, had one of the best line-ups and performances showcased at the Convocation Center. Judging by the crowd, all in attendance would agree.

On Friday, Sept. 3, the Convocation Center hopes to continue its luck with the Hip-Hop Explosion featuring Twista and Jadakiss. Although I doubt it will draw quite as big a crowd as the Beat Down, it will hopefully surpass Bob the Builder.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

UM President Julio Frenk will host a town hall meeting Monday with students, faculty, staff, and gue ...

A building at Miami Law is named in honor of Robert Dooley, who donated $1.1 million to support the ...

The use of video game technology helps physicians more accurately diagnose patients suffering from P ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...