Bling, Bling, and more Bling: Rap Artists Strut their stuff

The Convocation Center may have been home to Winnie the Pooh and Bob the Builder last year, but it seems as though it finally realized what sells tickets: hip-hop stars, and lots of them. Miami’s own hip-hop and R&B radio station WMIB 103.5 The Beat, pulled some major strings and got a first class line-up for their Beat Down concert.

The line-up ranged from Ja Rule and Ashanti to the Ying Yang Twins and Trick Daddy. Chart topper Kanye West closed the over four-hour show, which also included performances from T.O.K, 8Ball & MJG, and Fat Joe with the infamous Terror Squad. Petey Pablo was a no show, but I doubt anybody really noticed or cared.

For the first time since it’s opening, the Convocation Center had a sold out concert, filled to capacity with eager concert goers. Unfortunately, seeing as the show took place in the middle of the summer (June 27 to be exact) when most students were far, far away from campus, the crowd lacked the typical drunk sorority girl/wannabe rappers that one would expect. Instead, there was a lot of blinding bling, both on and off stage and the not- so-faint aroma of marijuana. The show, to say the least, had one of the best line-ups and performances showcased at the Convocation Center. Judging by the crowd, all in attendance would agree.

On Friday, Sept. 3, the Convocation Center hopes to continue its luck with the Hip-Hop Explosion featuring Twista and Jadakiss. Although I doubt it will draw quite as big a crowd as the Beat Down, it will hopefully surpass Bob the Builder.

Leigha Taber can be contacted at ltaber@miami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...