Ashlee Simpson exceeds low expectations

If you’ve ever watched her now defunct self-titled show on MTV, Ashlee Simpson’s usual less-than-sultry screeching in the recording studio hardly seems like talent, but one listen to her debut CD Autobiography, and this girl’s rock-inspired vocal chords will move any body to the beat. Sexy, soulful, and just downright honest, the tracks weave stories of love, jealousy, and Ashlee’s struggle to find an identity in between string notes, guitar chords, and melodic tunes from the piano. In contrast to (dare to be mentioned, Jessica Simpson) her sister, Ashlee Simpson seems to be fine with public affection, an idea reinforced by the fourth track on the album titled “La La.” Here’s a hint: La La seems to be the new slang for ahem, relations. Also inclusive to the CD is the second track, Ashlee’s hit single, “Pieces of Me,” and her soon-to-be single, “Shadow,” a ballad about hiding behind her sister’s dream. Released by Geffen Records, whose other artists include Blink 182, Sparta, and Papa Roach, (all obviously rock), Ashlee Simpson’s chart-topping platinum album seems to be the start to her own career. One take, and any listener, including some boys, will warm up to the heart of the album: thoughts and feelings that every person has while on the road to self-actualization.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...