Ashlee Simpson exceeds low expectations

If you’ve ever watched her now defunct self-titled show on MTV, Ashlee Simpson’s usual less-than-sultry screeching in the recording studio hardly seems like talent, but one listen to her debut CD Autobiography, and this girl’s rock-inspired vocal chords will move any body to the beat. Sexy, soulful, and just downright honest, the tracks weave stories of love, jealousy, and Ashlee’s struggle to find an identity in between string notes, guitar chords, and melodic tunes from the piano. In contrast to (dare to be mentioned, Jessica Simpson) her sister, Ashlee Simpson seems to be fine with public affection, an idea reinforced by the fourth track on the album titled “La La.” Here’s a hint: La La seems to be the new slang for ahem, relations. Also inclusive to the CD is the second track, Ashlee’s hit single, “Pieces of Me,” and her soon-to-be single, “Shadow,” a ballad about hiding behind her sister’s dream. Released by Geffen Records, whose other artists include Blink 182, Sparta, and Papa Roach, (all obviously rock), Ashlee Simpson’s chart-topping platinum album seems to be the start to her own career. One take, and any listener, including some boys, will warm up to the heart of the album: thoughts and feelings that every person has while on the road to self-actualization.

Joanna Davila can be contacted at j.davila1@umiami.edu.

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...