Women’s soccer shines with strong goaltending, scoring

Despite a 9-9-1 overall record, there were many positives that can be taken from the women’s soccer team’s season.

The Hurricanes defeated a Top 10 team for the first time in school history when they upset the Connecticut Huskies at Cobb Stadium on Sept. 26. The team also played the top teams in the Big East in close matches, losing in overtime to a Notre Dame team that was ranked No. 2 in the nation. Notre Dame’s win over Miami made it 19-1-1 on the season, so for the ‘Canes to take a team that good to overtime says something about the direction in which the program is headed.

It is true that the Hurricanes still lost, but a loss in not always a bad thing. When you lose to an elite team in a tight game, it is hard to be completely negative. This program has been lingering around mediocrity now for the last few years. This year, the women’s soccer team will make a jump into the thick of the Atlantic Coast Conference race.

The reason for being optimistic starts with the emergence of leading goal scorer Lindsey Yach. Yach’s nine goals and three assists gave her a team-high 21 points on the season. She also showed a flare for the dramatic, scoring four game-winning goals, the only Hurricane to register more than one game-winner. The ‘Canes’ scoring threat will not end with Yach, however. Junior Britney Butcher had a disappointing season, scoring just three goals and five assists in 19 games. The slow year from Butcher may actually be a blessing in disguise. Butcher will be returning for her senior season and will have extra motivation to prove that the 2003 season was a fluke. With Butcher and Yach, the Hurricanes should have a formidable offense next season.

The most encouraging sign from the 2003 season came between the goal posts. Alex Alford, a freshman goaltender, played very well throughout the entire season. Going into the year, goaltending was one of the biggest question marks on the ‘Canes. Alford put that to rest by allowing just 1.60 goals per game and totaling five shutouts on the season. Alford still has three seasons left in her Hurricanes career, so Miami has a starting goaltender for years to come.

The heart of the matter is that this season did not accomplish what the ‘Canes were hoping for. The 9-9-1 record is a little deceiving, however. The Hurricanes outplayed their opponents in several games, and really only got beat in one category: the scoreboard. If you judged the team based on their performance, they would have been far above .500. The offense never came around the way the team had hoped, causing the Hurricanes to struggle scoring goals, losing a bunch of one-goal games. As a matter of fact, five of the ‘Canes’ losses were decided by one goal or less, and three of those five losses came in overtime. The Hurricanes were 1-3-1 in overtime this season, which shows how easily this could have been a productive season.

Overall, 9-9-1 was definitely not where the Hurricanes wanted to be. In the pre-season, the ‘Canes’ aspirations were to compete for a Big East Championship and to make the NCAA Tournament. They fell short of all of those goals, but that does not necessarily mean that this program took a step backward. Rather, this program is still moving in the right direction and has young, impressive talent for next season.

This year may finally be the season that the women’s soccer team emerges from the rest of the pack. They may finally make the jump from an average to an elite team. With a solid goaltender and two legitimate scoring threats returning for next season, there are reasons to be excited about the women’s soccer team. I

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...