Wanna change the world? Start here

So you want to do something big? Make a difference in the world? Volunteering empowers you to make a change in the community around you.

The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center, better known as the VSC, has a lot to offer UM students. The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC has the resources to enable students to have amazing volunteer experiences addressing a spectrum of social issues.

The VSC also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find an agency or issue to match their needs and wants. Furthermore, the VSC features a system that allows students to keep track of their community service hours.

The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Volunteer organizations tackle issues year round, while programming boards focus on creating a large volunteer or awareness day or week. These groups deal with many different service issues, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer and HIV/AIDS awareness. Getting involved in a student organization or programming board is an amazing way to meet other students interested in service while learning more about the issue being tackled.

By serving others, you not only are benefiting those around you, but you will also learn about and better the person you are. Isn’t that what the college experience is all about? I

>> For more information, visit the Butler Volunteer Services Center in UC 240 or call 305-284-GIVE.

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...