Wanna change the world? Start here

So you want to do something big? Make a difference in the world? Volunteering empowers you to make a change in the community around you.

The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center, better known as the VSC, has a lot to offer UM students. The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC has the resources to enable students to have amazing volunteer experiences addressing a spectrum of social issues.

The VSC also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find an agency or issue to match their needs and wants. Furthermore, the VSC features a system that allows students to keep track of their community service hours.

The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Volunteer organizations tackle issues year round, while programming boards focus on creating a large volunteer or awareness day or week. These groups deal with many different service issues, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer and HIV/AIDS awareness. Getting involved in a student organization or programming board is an amazing way to meet other students interested in service while learning more about the issue being tackled.

By serving others, you not only are benefiting those around you, but you will also learn about and better the person you are. Isn’t that what the college experience is all about? I

>> For more information, visit the Butler Volunteer Services Center in UC 240 or call 305-284-GIVE.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...