Wanna change the world? Start here

So you want to do something big? Make a difference in the world? Volunteering empowers you to make a change in the community around you.

The William R. Butler Volunteer Services Center, better known as the VSC, has a lot to offer UM students. The VSC’s mission is to actively promote the inclusion of community service in every facet of the university experience. With a database of more than 450 community agencies, the VSC has the resources to enable students to have amazing volunteer experiences addressing a spectrum of social issues.

The VSC also has a helpful staff to assist in the placement process to help students find an agency or issue to match their needs and wants. Furthermore, the VSC features a system that allows students to keep track of their community service hours.

The VSC is also home to more than 25 student-run volunteer organizations and programming boards. Volunteer organizations tackle issues year round, while programming boards focus on creating a large volunteer or awareness day or week. These groups deal with many different service issues, from poverty and environmental issues to cancer and HIV/AIDS awareness. Getting involved in a student organization or programming board is an amazing way to meet other students interested in service while learning more about the issue being tackled.

By serving others, you not only are benefiting those around you, but you will also learn about and better the person you are. Isn’t that what the college experience is all about? I

>> For more information, visit the Butler Volunteer Services Center in UC 240 or call 305-284-GIVE.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...