Volleyball excels under Lantagne Welch

Coaching is an integral aspect of every sport. When people talk about the top University of Miami coaches, Larry Coker and Jim Morris are usually the first names mentioned. There is no doubt that they are great coaches, but there is another name that deserves recognition: Nicole Lantagne Welch of the women’s volleyball program.

Lantagne Welch was brought to Miami two years ago to revitalize volleyball as a top UM sport. In her first two seasons, Lantagne Welch has accumulated a record of 44-12. Last season, Lantagne Welch led the ‘Canes to their first ever NCAA Tournament berth and a Sweet 16 appearance. The ‘Canes finished last season No. 23 in the nation.

Lantagne Welch has also recruited brilliantly. Marcela Gamarra, who graduated last season, was a key contributor for the ‘Canes and helped UM get their program going. Last season the ‘Canes also had their first ever Big East Player of the Year in Valeria Tipiana and their first Setter of the Year in Mallorey James. Both of these girls still have two years of eligibility left, which will make the ‘Canes an even better team this season. Overall, the Hurricanes had three first team All-Big East players last season, and they return a very talented cast for this season.

The volleyball team was very young every season under Lantagne Welch. The team boasts just one senior again this season, after having just one senior last season in Gamarra. It is hard to win in any college sport, let alone with mostly freshmen and sophomores, but that is exactly what Lantagne Welch has done the past two seasons.

Lantagne Welch was selected as the American Volleyball Coaches Association Regional Coach of the Year last season, which shows how much respect she has earned nationally.

Lantagne Welch is a successful coach because she knows the game of volleyball so well. She played four years at the University of Maryland as a setter, and left the school as their All-Time leader in assists, digs, and matches played. These records show that not only was Lantagne Welch a great player, but she has also successfully translated her success to coaching.

Her first coaching job was in 1994 as an assistant coach for Maryland, before becoming a graduate assistant coach at Ohio University in 1995. At Ohio University, she earned a master’s degree in Athletic Administration, until she moved on to Texas A&M where she served as an assistant coach for three seasons. Texas A&M finished in the top twenty every year while she was there, including a No. 9 finish in 1999.

Finally, Lantagne Welch has gotten the opportunity to run the show at the University of Miami. The ‘Canes couldn’t have made a better choice, either. Not only has she had success on the court, but she also recruits players with character as well as talent. Every player on Lantagne Welch’s team is friendly, approachable, and hard working. I guess they learned that from their coach, who has been the epitome of class her entire life.

So when people talk about the best coaches at the University of Miami, it is obvious to mention Coker and Morris. However, let’s not forget about Lantagne Welch, who has done a brilliant job with the volleyball program so far. I

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...