University Village soon to become campus reality

University Village, a proposed student apartment residential village community planned for the San Amaro Drive area of campus – in the works for over a decade – will soon become a reality, now that the City of Coral Gables Commission approved the plan agreed upon by neighbors and the University. Construction for University Village will begin in fall 2004 and an expected completion date is 2006.
“On-campus student housing is in great demand at the University,” Sarah Artecona, UM spokesperson, said. “University Village will provide 800 upper-class, graduate and law students on-campus living facilities in an apartment-like setting.”
The village is a critical component in the University’s plan to recruit and retain top-tier students, and it will reduce the student commuter population. Currently, on-campus housing is available for only 27 percent of the entire student population. Housing 800 students on-campus will decrease commuter student trips during peak traffic hours.
University Village has been on the table since 1991, when the City of Coral Gables approved the original plans for the area. Those plans were halted as a result of the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew.
UM met several years ago with neighbors to review

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...