Trouble in paradise? Counseling center helps

As students prepare to enter UM, they eagerly anticipate unprecedented educational opportunities and Miami’s rich cultural diversity. At the same time, however, they will also be facing many challenges in dealing with their newfound freedom.

The Counseling Center can assist students with adjusting to campus life and deriving the most benefit from their educational opportunities.

The Counseling Center’s fulltime staff, which includes six psychologists and three pre-doctoral interns, provides short-term individual counseling and crisis intervention. Additionally, a variety of therapy groups, often the treatment of choice for college students, are offered to help with issues such as self-esteem, eating disorders, family problems, misuse of alcohol and drug, and anger management.

In some instances, students go off campus for their mental health services, for which the Counseling Center is happy to provide referrals.

The Counseling Center also provides career counseling services, offering a variety of interest, ability and personality tests to provide students with feedback based on the results.

Furthermore, students utilize services for academic adjustment issues such as test anxiety, time management, sleep disturbance, and difficulties with concentration.

The Counseling Center is proud of the educational and prevention programs its staff provides throughout the year involving topics such as depression, stress, eating concerns and sexual assault. They also provide speakers for student groups upon request.

Counseling Center staff members will participate during orientation in programs for both students and parents. I

>> For more information about the services offered by the Counseling Center, visit www.miami.educounseling-center or call 305-284-5511.

Know More:
Adjusting to college life

I Learn how to manage your time and money.
I Prioritize academics; the rule of thumb is at least two hours of study per credit each week.
I Become engaged in extracurricular activities and/or a part-time job on campus. Active students are usually happier and are better able to take advantage of educational opportunities.
I Communicate with your family regularly and schedule a midterm visit, like Parents Weekend. Expect your relationship with your parents to change.
I Try to compromise and share with your roommate, when possible.
I Find a group of friends, including one or two you can trust.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...