Trouble in paradise? Counseling center helps

As students prepare to enter UM, they eagerly anticipate unprecedented educational opportunities and Miami’s rich cultural diversity. At the same time, however, they will also be facing many challenges in dealing with their newfound freedom.

The Counseling Center can assist students with adjusting to campus life and deriving the most benefit from their educational opportunities.

The Counseling Center’s fulltime staff, which includes six psychologists and three pre-doctoral interns, provides short-term individual counseling and crisis intervention. Additionally, a variety of therapy groups, often the treatment of choice for college students, are offered to help with issues such as self-esteem, eating disorders, family problems, misuse of alcohol and drug, and anger management.

In some instances, students go off campus for their mental health services, for which the Counseling Center is happy to provide referrals.

The Counseling Center also provides career counseling services, offering a variety of interest, ability and personality tests to provide students with feedback based on the results.

Furthermore, students utilize services for academic adjustment issues such as test anxiety, time management, sleep disturbance, and difficulties with concentration.

The Counseling Center is proud of the educational and prevention programs its staff provides throughout the year involving topics such as depression, stress, eating concerns and sexual assault. They also provide speakers for student groups upon request.

Counseling Center staff members will participate during orientation in programs for both students and parents. I

>> For more information about the services offered by the Counseling Center, visit www.miami.educounseling-center or call 305-284-5511.

Know More:
Adjusting to college life

I Learn how to manage your time and money.
I Prioritize academics; the rule of thumb is at least two hours of study per credit each week.
I Become engaged in extracurricular activities and/or a part-time job on campus. Active students are usually happier and are better able to take advantage of educational opportunities.
I Communicate with your family regularly and schedule a midterm visit, like Parents Weekend. Expect your relationship with your parents to change.
I Try to compromise and share with your roommate, when possible.
I Find a group of friends, including one or two you can trust.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...