Trouble in paradise? Counseling center helps

As students prepare to enter UM, they eagerly anticipate unprecedented educational opportunities and Miami’s rich cultural diversity. At the same time, however, they will also be facing many challenges in dealing with their newfound freedom.

The Counseling Center can assist students with adjusting to campus life and deriving the most benefit from their educational opportunities.

The Counseling Center’s fulltime staff, which includes six psychologists and three pre-doctoral interns, provides short-term individual counseling and crisis intervention. Additionally, a variety of therapy groups, often the treatment of choice for college students, are offered to help with issues such as self-esteem, eating disorders, family problems, misuse of alcohol and drug, and anger management.

In some instances, students go off campus for their mental health services, for which the Counseling Center is happy to provide referrals.

The Counseling Center also provides career counseling services, offering a variety of interest, ability and personality tests to provide students with feedback based on the results.

Furthermore, students utilize services for academic adjustment issues such as test anxiety, time management, sleep disturbance, and difficulties with concentration.

The Counseling Center is proud of the educational and prevention programs its staff provides throughout the year involving topics such as depression, stress, eating concerns and sexual assault. They also provide speakers for student groups upon request.

Counseling Center staff members will participate during orientation in programs for both students and parents. I

>> For more information about the services offered by the Counseling Center, visit www.miami.educounseling-center or call 305-284-5511.

Know More:
Adjusting to college life

I Learn how to manage your time and money.
I Prioritize academics; the rule of thumb is at least two hours of study per credit each week.
I Become engaged in extracurricular activities and/or a part-time job on campus. Active students are usually happier and are better able to take advantage of educational opportunities.
I Communicate with your family regularly and schedule a midterm visit, like Parents Weekend. Expect your relationship with your parents to change.
I Try to compromise and share with your roommate, when possible.
I Find a group of friends, including one or two you can trust.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...