Track and field finishes with several Big East Championships

A new breed of superhero can be found on the University of Miami track. Thanks to a combination of speed, agility, strength, and teamwork, the men and women’s track teams excelled in their indoor season, ending the campaign with a Big East Championship.

The men’s track team blew the competition away at the Big East Indoor Track and Field Championship in Syracuse, N.Y. In the 60-meter event, junior Tanard Davis finished with a time of 6.78 seconds to win his first Big East Indoor Championship. Sophomore Terell Walden, last year’s Big East 60-meter winner, finished in a close second with a time of 6.78 seconds, Walden was passed by Davis in the final hundredth of a second.

“Walden and Davis are both football guys and they work very hard. It takes a special person to fit two sports into their schedule and still be able to perform well,” Head Coach Mike Ward said.

Freshman Devin Hester finished just behind his teammates at third with a time of 6.82 seconds. Hester emerged victorious in the long jump competition. Walden established a Big East Championship record with a time of 6.76 seconds in the 60-meter preliminary round. Walden’s time beat former Hurricane Santana Moss’ record of 6.77 seconds, which was tied by Hester, who finished second behind Walden in the preliminaries.

“Though we don’t put much emphasis on the indoor season because we primarily focus on the outdoor season, the men still did a good job,” Ward said. “Our win at the Big East Championship was preparation for the rest of the season. For the men to score 43 points between seven guys is significant. We hope in our outdoor events to qualify 14 guys and earn 100 points.”

The women’s track and field team won its second consecutive Big East Indoor Championship and jumped to No.10 in the Trackwire rankings for the first time this season. Junior All-American Lauryn Williams captured the 60-meter and 200-meter titles. Williams is the top 60-meter runner in the nation (7.21 seconds) and is No.4 in the 200-meter (23.24 seconds).I

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...