Toppel Center prepares students for real world

The Toppel Career Center provides UM students with the opportunities and resources to get world-class preparation for their careers. An effective career planning process begins the first day you step onto campus. The Center offers career advising, assistance with selecting a major, career-related programming, and information that can enhance the student experience as you seek employment or admission to graduate school. The timeline below can serve as a guide during the first year as you consider future goals.

Freshman Year:

I Join at least one club or professional student organization and network

I Stop by the Toppel Career Center and visit Toppel Online [see below]often to find out what we offer and to participate in programs

I Obtain information about volunteering and internships

I Attend a resume development workshop, begin creating your resume, and add to the resume each year

I Register on our career management system and update profile every six months

I Make an appointment to see a career advisor and get assistance as you explore your interests, values, and abilities

I Take the Self-Directed Search and/or complete the Discover program, available through Toppel Online

I Review career literature in the university library, the Toppel Career Resource Library, and on the internet

I Attend the Majors Fair in the Spring

I Review “What Can I Do With My Major” resources at www.miami.edu/toppel/majors

The Center also employs two Academic and Career Advisors in Residence [ACAR], located in Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges. In conjunction with the Department of Residence Halls and the Toppel Career Center, ACAR provides academic orientation to students, advising, and assistance with major and career selection.

Some programming highlights include Career Exploration Week in the spring, which provides students with the opportunity to meet professionals in various fields. During that week, the Majors Fair is held, where students can meet faculty and staff in various Schools and Colleges and get help in selecting majors and minors.

Don’t miss the Career Expo, when employers come to UM to recruit students for full-time jobs and internships. Florida Power & Light, for example, was recently named “Employer of the Year.” They consistently recruit UM students through Career Fairs and On-Campus Interviewing and serve as a Toppel Partner by sponsoring an interview suite in the Career Center. I

>> For more information about Toppel Career Center, visit www.miami.edu/toppel.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...