Student Employment provides students job opportunities

Working while attending classes is a common choice for UM students. Part-time positions help students pay for books, food, and entertainment, among other expenses. Students can begin working only after completing the registration process, so they may not expect earnings from these part-time positions to pay tuition and fees.

Student Employment positions provide students with great experiences which complement their classroom learning, allowing them to feel independent and to meet and interact other students, faculty and staff from all around the University.

There are three employment program options at UM for undergraduate students: Federal Work Study Program, Student Assistant Program, and Miami Commitment.

Federal Work Study [FWS], including Community Service Work Study, is a federally funded financial aid program awarded to students based on their eligibility determined by the on time completion of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid [FAFSA] and other financial aid criteria.

Funding for this program is limited. Students are awarded a specific amount and may not earn beyond the approved amount as indicated in their Financial Aid Award letter. Jobs may be with on-campus departments or with off-campus community service agencies.

Students are allowed only one FWS assignment at a time; work schedules are flexible to accommodate students’ class schedules. Typically, a student works 10 to 15 hours per week. Pay rates depend on the responsibility of the position and is determined by the hiring department.

Students without federal funding are considered Student Assistants and can find jobs in many of the same departments as Federal Work Study students. However, the University must give preference to students in need of financial assistance in their hiring practices. The best time to look for these positions is early in the semester. Whether a student is hired as FWS or Student Assistant, the pay rates and conditions of employment are the same.

Miami Commitment is a selective student employment skill development program at UM. Students admitted through the early action and early decision admission processes receive a special invitation to apply. A selection committee reviews applications and selects the students whose applications best communicate employment and academic responsibility and dedication, as well as a willingness to learn on the job and to participate early on in career development activities. Miami Commitment students typically move into leadership positions in their jobs, and gain increasing responsibilities. I

>> For more information about Student Employment, visit www.miami.edu/student-employment.

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...