South Florida Blood Bank visits UM campus monthly

Studies show that one out of 10 people will be a blood recipient during his or her lifetime. The nation is currently in critical condition in terms of blood availability, and experts say that anyone who meets the criteria for donating blood should do so.

The South Florida Blood Bank [SFB], a nonprofit organization, comes to UM the first Monday and Tuesday of every month, in hopes of attracting youths to help save lives. SFB is the only source of blood for Jackson Memorial Hospital and Ryder Trauma Center.

During one particular visit, for example, they were able to collect about 60 pints of blood. Though this may seem like a lot, Magda Campoamor, representative from SFB, says that this is only enough blood for one heart or liver transplant. It is often the amount of blood needed to treat injuries from car accidents.

“Every pint makes a difference,” Campoamor said, who donates blood every two months. “Plus, you never know when you’ll be needing blood.”

“Thirty minutes of my time can save someone’s life, so why not?” -Carolyn Vickers Junior

Donors like senior Dana Szpunar and junior Carolyn Vickers say that they try to donate as often as possible.

Szpunar said the extra perks to donating blood, such as free shirts and a DVD player he won once, are “icing on the cake.”

“Thirty minutes of my time can save someone’s life, so why not?” Vickers said. I

>> For more information, contact Magda Campoamor at mcampoamor@sfbb.org or visit www.sfbb.org.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...