School of Nursing builds for future

The School of Nursing is expanding the many benefits of studying UM, increasing opportunities for students interested in careers in the health care profession. Coming soon to campus are new program initiatives, an increased emphasis on research, and new facilities.

“The UM School of Nursing is well known for its high quality education at the Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral levels throughout the local community and nationwide,” said Dr. Rosemary Fedrigon Hall, professor in the School of Nursing.

Indeed, the school seems to have its finger on the pulse of national trends – within the fields of education and research and industry alike. With plans in the works for new centers of excellence in the areas of Pediatric Safety, Aging and Health, and Women’s Health, the school will be addressing demographic trends and preparing nursing students for the challenges of contemporary health care.

“The School is known for its high quality education at the Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral levels throughout the local community and worldwide.” -Dr. Rosemary Fedrigon Hall Professor

This fall, the nursing school will launch a graduate program in disease management nursing, the first in the nation to prepare nursing professionals in this emerging field.

Industry developments show that healthcare professionals are going to be in high demand in upcoming years. According to the 2004 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, one million new and replacement nurses will be needed in the U.S. by 2010, and the state of Florida alone will face an estimated shortage of 55,000 nurses. According to the 2002 Nursing Shortage Consortium South Florida, one in four nurse educators in Florida are projected to retire soon.

Sparkling new facilities are also on the way; work on the M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education building will begin soon. The four-story, 53,800 square foot facility will give South Florida’s foremost health research institution a state-of-the art nursing education and research facility. I

>> For more information on the School of Nursing, visit www.miami.edu/nursing.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...