School of Nursing builds for future

The School of Nursing is expanding the many benefits of studying UM, increasing opportunities for students interested in careers in the health care profession. Coming soon to campus are new program initiatives, an increased emphasis on research, and new facilities.

“The UM School of Nursing is well known for its high quality education at the Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral levels throughout the local community and nationwide,” said Dr. Rosemary Fedrigon Hall, professor in the School of Nursing.

Indeed, the school seems to have its finger on the pulse of national trends – within the fields of education and research and industry alike. With plans in the works for new centers of excellence in the areas of Pediatric Safety, Aging and Health, and Women’s Health, the school will be addressing demographic trends and preparing nursing students for the challenges of contemporary health care.

“The School is known for its high quality education at the Baccalaureate, Masters, and Doctoral levels throughout the local community and worldwide.” -Dr. Rosemary Fedrigon Hall Professor

This fall, the nursing school will launch a graduate program in disease management nursing, the first in the nation to prepare nursing professionals in this emerging field.

Industry developments show that healthcare professionals are going to be in high demand in upcoming years. According to the 2004 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, one million new and replacement nurses will be needed in the U.S. by 2010, and the state of Florida alone will face an estimated shortage of 55,000 nurses. According to the 2002 Nursing Shortage Consortium South Florida, one in four nurse educators in Florida are projected to retire soon.

Sparkling new facilities are also on the way; work on the M. Christine Schwartz Center for Nursing Education building will begin soon. The four-story, 53,800 square foot facility will give South Florida’s foremost health research institution a state-of-the art nursing education and research facility. I

>> For more information on the School of Nursing, visit www.miami.edu/nursing.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...