Public Safety seeks to protect, educate

The Department of Public Safety is a full-service police agency comprised of full- and part-time police officers that provide service 24 hours a day year round. The department is augmented by contract security officers and student security patrol officers.

Public Safety offers many services for your safety and protection.

Security Escort Patrol, Security Supervisors, Security Officers and Student Security Patrol Officers will escort any student, faculty, staff member, or campus visitor 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is a free service.

Rape Aggression Defense [RAD] is a program of realistic self-defense tactics and techniques. This comprehensive course for women is taught by certified RAD instructors. The course is 12-15 hours long and its objective is to develop and enhance the options of self-defense, so that they may become viable considerations to the woman who is attacked.

Another safety service at UM is the Adopt-a-cop program. Each residential college may “adopt” a police officer, who provides high visibility and is highly accessible to the residential community. This officer may facilitate speakers to address any safety issue of interest.

Operation ID is a program that identifies valuables in order to deter theft and aid in recovery of stolen property. Engravers are available at Public Safety. Public Safety can also etch your vehicle identification number into the glass areas of your car, thereby making it easily traceable if stolen and less desirable to a thief.

Public Safety sells anti-theft devices for vehicles and laptop computers at a reduced cost. Cyclists can trade in their cables or chain locks for a free U-lock, while supplies last, and register their bikes into a national registry at no cost.

Motorists who are stranded on campus can call Public Safety for assistance if they are locked out of their cars or experience dead batteries or flat tires.

In addition, more than 70 emergency telephones are strategically located throughout campus. These phones are marked by a blue light to aid in nighttime identification and are connected directly to the department of Public Safety. Phones may be used to request an escort, report suspicious persons or activities, or to obtain information.

Remember, most crimes are “crimes of opportunity.” If we can remove the opportunity, we can greatly reduce the chance of crime. I

>> For more information, contact the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666, or visit www.miami.edu/public-safety.

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...